help needed

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hey

Im looking at getting either the trek 3500 or the hardrock se 2012, I fell in love with the hardrock in a shop but trek has better reviews. Its gotta be between these two. Which one would you guys say is better for mainly on road but also abit off road?

Thanks

Comments

• Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    they have very similar specs, but they would both be more suited to commuting than actual mountain biking.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • jon3619
    So cause they are simular its really whichever one I like the look of? I aint gonna be doing any serious off road stuff, more little dirt lanes thru fields now and again. Mainly on road. I wud get a hybrid but I prefer the handling on mtb. The hardrocj I think has the edge look wise. But it got a terrible review! Grr
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    it depends who reviewed it, trying to get a review of both from the same website is better in some cases. I would try and test both at a lbs(local bike shop) and see which you prefer then...

Link to the reviews?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gets bad reviews for a reason.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon3619
    Both reviews I found on this bike radar site, hardrock got 1 and a half stars outta 5 and the trek 3500 got 3/5. Hmm hard choice
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why ask then?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look at Halfords - Carrera or Voodoo or Decathlon - Rockrider. Much, much better for the money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon3619
    The other option was the carrera vulcan, how does that compare to the hardrock? Or the carrera valour
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Vulcan is miles, miles better.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jon3619 wrote:
    Both reviews I found on this bike radar site, hardrock got 1 and a half stars outta 5 and the trek 3500 got 3/5. Hmm hard choice
    Bike Radar gave the Carbon 456 a bad review. Almost everyone who rides them thinks they're absolutely nuts. Is just one review however.

Anyway, budget?

How much off-road are you going to do? Both of the above have forks that really are only any good for riding to the shops or a gentle pootle round the country park on the flat. If that's what you need then fine enough. I can't say which I'd prefer as they'd both do the job. Hardrock is probably fine but given a bad review for being less value for money than previous years.

Plenty of other choices, and if you're prepared to spend a little more or go for last year's model in the sale you may get something better.
  • jon3619
    I was looking around the 300 mark, hardrock instantly felt good and I like the design, in terms of where it will be used....pretty much to work and back which is mainly road with a few light dirt tracks. I dont be cross country trails or anything. But I need it to be able to be roughed up.alittle at the same tim