Perishing track pump, Batman!

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Was fettling the bike last night, ready for this weeks training regime. The last thing to do was inflate the tyres.

As I started pumping away (fnarr) I became aware of a strong breeze around my knees and a hissing sound. Typical, I thought, just as I'm finishing I've now got to change a tube (I'd assumed that the valve had given up the ghost). But no, on closer inspection it turned out that the hose from the track pump had perished and cracked. Of all the things that could go wrong this is one that I've never considered. Tried to bodge a repair with insulating tape, but it barely made any difference.

Now I've got one flat tyre. Bastard!
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Don't you have a mini-pump? What do you do for punctures out on the road?

Anyway, crap luck! Always expect the unexpected!!
  • Crapaud
    Secteur wrote:
    Don't you have a mini-pump? What do you do for punctures out on the road?

Anyway, crap luck! Always expect the unexpected!!
    Of course I do. I've got 2; a Zefal HPX and A.n.Other. They're for the inevitable when out on the road. Neither'll get the tyre up to 110lbs though (not that I've got a pressure guage, mind).

I've decided to go out on the winter mutant hack. Should be interesting trying to do intervals pushing half a tonne of pig-iron.

I always expect the unexpected. This was just more unexpected than I'd expected to expect.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    <<<<<<< At last count had 4 track pumps in the workshop, a collection of mini-pumps, some of which are as effective as mouth-to-valve resuscitation, and a couple of CO2 canister things.

Last flat tyre was out on a ride on which ALL the above were... you guessed it... at home in the workshop. :oops:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Crapaud
    I paid a visit to the LBS this morning. Imagine my surprise that they actually had spare parts for a track pump. Now, imagine my horror at the price. £17. That's seventeen feckin' pounds!!! Or, if you prefer, half the price of a new pump!

Bastards!