What f/s for £1000 or just upgrade my current hardtail

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm loving my scott aspect 35 but i'm unexpectedly getting into the slightly more gnarly stuff than i initialy expected i would. I've also come into some unexpected funds to which i was thinking of upgrading the suntour xcr forks but now i'm thinking i could get a f/s but i'd only have a £1000 spend and was looking at the boardman team fs today which looks quite nice but only 20 gears? Halfords
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    zanush wrote:
    I'm loving my aspect 35 but i'm unexpectedly getting into the slightly more gnarly stuff than i initialy expected i would. I've also come into some unexpected funds to which i was thinking of upgrading the suntour xcr forks but now i'm thinking i could get a f/s but i'd only have a £1000 spend and was looking at the boardman team fs today which looks quite nice but only 20 gears? Halfords
    It's a good bike. And by only 20 gears i assume you mean you need a triple instead of a double?
  • zanush
    I just wasn't expecting it to only have a double chainset whilst other ie giant etc have a triple.....still a newbie to mtb but 20 gears seems a bit limited to me unless i'm missing something lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You're missing something. Double chainring is very popular now for a number of reasons (however it may or may not be appropriate for your individual needs, so don't jump to conclusions).
  • zanush
    Im just used to triple chainsets tbh, i intend to keep my aspect 35 as it's quite nippy onthe road and can handle the xc stuff i'm currently attempting but i just fancy a f/s after having a quick play on one. I'm in no way wanting to do anything really serious as that is beyond my skill's :? but i want something that is an all rounder and it looks to fit the bill unless something like the giant trance x4 is more suitable Giant
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    A double chainset with 2 at the front and 10 at the back does not relate to a lower range of gears - the biggest at the back is likely a 36t ring as opposed to 32 in a std 9 spd so with a 26 at the front instead of a 22t the lowest is basically the same and the highest not too different. 2x10 should not be assumed to be a downgrade.

full suss vs hardtail however is a whole nother issue - the aspect aint a bad bike and assuming the world is going to be a very diff place with a bit of bounce out back aint necessarily true.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    zanush wrote:
    Im just used to triple chainsets tbh, i intend to keep my aspect 35 as it's quite nippy onthe road and can handle the xc stuff i'm currently attempting but i just fancy a f/s after having a quick play on one. I'm in no way wanting to do anything really serious as that is beyond my skill's :? but i want something that is an all rounder and it looks to fit the bill unless something like the giant trance x4 is more suitable Giant
    the spec on that trance is a bit poor, the boardman is better, have you looked here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... rtBy=Price
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've probably spent a grand (a bit more I reckon) completely upgrading my hardtail over the last 12-18 months

And I now have a better bike than if I'd spent the grand on another bike (especially a FS bike!) - even if you add on the £450 I originally bought the bike for I reckon I've got a higher spec'd bike than you can buy new for £1450.

Reba fork, XT drivetrain, SLX crankset, Reverb dropper post, Arch EX wheels, SLX brakes, Easton Haven bar, Shimano M520 pedals, Switch EVO/Trizoid hubs etc etc

Plus I've learnt how to maintain, fix and build a bike in that time

On the 2x10 thing - obviously - depends where and what and how you ride but I went from 3x9 to 2x10 and it's perfect for me

Go for the upgrade!!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • zanush
    Although i like my aspect 35 i'm edging towards a f/s after being out and about having a look at some today.
    I might be able to get a deal on a scott spark 70 for slightly over my budget Spark 70 or Lapierre X-Control 110 Lapierre. Would you say the boardman is still the better choice given that you can get it for £929.99 atm ?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    zanush wrote:
    Although i like my aspect 35 i'm edging towards a f/s after being out and about having a look at some today.
    I might be able to get a deal on a scott spark 70 for slightly over my budget Spark 70 or Lapierre X-Control 110 Lapierre. Would you say the boardman is still the better choice given that you can get it for £929.99 atm ?
    the suspension on those 2 isn't in the same league as the boardmans
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    zanush wrote:
    I might be able to get a deal on a scott spark 70 for slightly over my budget Spark 70 or Lapierre X-Control 110 Lapierre.

If it's out of those two go for the upgrade at least you'll end up with a bike with really good forks, a dropper post, a nice set of wheels etc etc
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • zanush
    Thanks for the advice ;) i'm going to plump for the boardman seeing as it's £929.99 with the current promotion. At least i'll have the choice of hardtail and f/s to play with ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95