jwmachon
jwmachon Posts: 46
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Where can I get a exact 0.5mm cassette spacer I have tried all over the place

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why? That's not very wide. I use about a 2.5mm with mavic hubs.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had to get a spacer for my mavic wheels - no idea what size. My bike shop had one they gave me for free.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jwmachon
    jwmachon Posts: 46
    I bought some wtb laserdisc wheels with laserdisc hubs they come with a 0.5mm spacer originally but mine didnt come with it so need to source one

Thanks
  • did you buy them from a shop?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Spacer between hub and cassette I assume, not spacer between cassette rings.

Regardless anyway, you can use Bottom Bracket spacers. They're the same diameter (edited: said headset spacer first, think it's BB spacer). That said, 0.5mm may be tricky, though my CB wheels come with spacers that are just very thin flexy plastic rings that stack together to make probably about 0.5mm I think. You could bodge something from any thin plastic rings of the same diameter that you could find in B&Q or even just cut up a milk bottle.

Do you need the spacer? With my wheels the main use for them is to stop the cassette hitting the hub as some do (SRAM especially), but not all. Though may need it to get chain line right also.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    0.5mm is wafer thin, see if you really need it, if you do 1mm would be fine anyway, the thread on the cassette lockring sin't that small!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^ this

And if you do need a 1mm one Shimano 10 speed road cassettes came with them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jwmachon wrote:
    Where can I get a exact 0.5mm cassette spacer I have tried all over the place

Thanks
    what do you need it for?
    what cassette are you fitting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown