Race Training

Cookie91
Cookie91 Posts: 97
edited August 2012 in Amateur race
Evening guys,

Apologies i understand this is a beginner road question, however sitting in that forum everything seems to be "new bike" questions.
20 years old, just done the typical got into cycling through commuting 24miles a day since may and being inspired by the olympics and some of these summer races. Well finally i am looking into cycling a little more seriously and wish to start training for next year to have a go at my first races. However i don't really know where to start. I have been looking around for training ideas and they all seem to be aimed at people who already compete and wish to maintain their fitness over the winter and then develop in the spring.
I don't know if it's just me but this doesn't seem to suit me since i feel i need to be pushing towards that winter base standard now.

Should i just start training using a realistic plan around the work life and stop reading into these "winter base sessions", "spring pumps" etc? Or is there something im missing right here?

Why is cycling so technical when it comes to training :roll:

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I dont follow any sort of training plan. Some people need them some dont. best thing is to go riding with a group of guys or club, where they also race. You will soon find out if your fit enough to race and if not you soon will be.
    Learn from them what is best for you, but one tip, you need to ride harder and faster on some rides :D
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    get a coach.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Join a club is always my first answer. I know some people don't like clubs or have some preconceived ideas about them (which may or may not be right) but there are often several clubs within a smallish area and it should be possible to find one that suits. Look for a club with an active racing membership so review race results for your area on the BC site but you may also want something with some slower groups to get you started. Some clubs may have coaches that can help you but I would say those with coaches qualified to provide actual training plans (i.e. BC level 3 road or ABCC coaches) are few and far between. However, you can usually find out what the more successful riders do and see if that suits your own lifestyle. Don't neglect learning good techniques as being able to corner, brake, ride in groups etc. better than those around you can help reduce energy expenditure whilst racing as well as make you safer.

My own suggestion would be to spend the next few months just riding and getting more miles in your legs and then after Christmas start looking and more specific sessions to build speed, power etc.. It's probably worth looking in the training sub-forum if you don't already as there will be more detail on how to improve different facets of your cycling there and there are some pretty helpful people there.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Great advice.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    well done first.
    You haven't mentioned what types of races you wish to enter.
    It really isn't technical at all, it's very simple, train (don't ride) for what your body will experience in your event, in terms of effort and duration, simulate it, but equally don't race in your training.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    Team4Luke wrote:
    well done first.
    You haven't mentioned what types of races you wish to enter.
    It really isn't technical at all, it's very simple, train (don't ride) for what your body will experience in your event, in terms of effort and duration, simulate it, but equally don't race in your training.

Thats the hardest bit, im not entirely sure what im training for yet. Im joining a local club this october (currently moving house) To be honest i don't think im a great TT rider, I don't think im too bad climbing hills and twisty runs. So im thinking about trying to play on my strengths.
    I think for the moment though im going to try to focus on endurance and technique and hopefully my first season next year might begin to show something.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Just try a bit of everything at first. At lower amateur levels there's a reasonable amount of overlap. Find out what you enjoy most and you will instinctively start entering more of that type of event. For example I used to do road racing and TTs when I started out but gradually entered more and more road races and rarely did TTs unless there was nothing else on as I never really had that ability to concentrate and push hard for an hour or so!
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    maybe hilly time trial events, many club districts have a Series of these. Have a go at a bit of everything and see what you prefer, if you join a club and their rides prove slightly uncomfortable for you then continue and use those as your grounding and base miles, but do remember Club Rides are just that and they won't be happy (well some won't) if you want to turn it into a race for training purposes, speak to them and find out if they hold training sessions as opposed to club rides as well. Training is Training, Club Rides are Club Rides the two are poles apart.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young