Ahead set maintenance.

Whitecamperman
Whitecamperman Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I took my forks off today from my 2004 gt avalanche 1.0, I think the. Bearings need replacing as they are the origional from new. Can someone tell me if I can fit one of the aftermarket headset bearing sets, or can I just replace the bearing race? I've put it back together for now with new grease, but the bottom "seal" just above the forks doesn't seem to be sitting right, with a gap between it and the bottom of the head tube. I'm concerned that this will lead to ingress of muck etc if I don't sort it out. Clearly I'm no bike mechanic, but I'm willing to learn! Help!
1997 Kona Koa
2004 GT Avalanche
2010 Carrera Subway Zero
Dawes Discovery

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just replace it with loose balls.
    If you mean the crown race isn't seated properly it sounds like the forks aren't all the way in. What part is it?
    250px-Bicycle_headset_%28threadless%29_exploded_view-en.png
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If it's a cartridge bearing headset then new bearings are available speratley through any shop that has a whiskers account depending on the headset though.

If it has caged balls then replace the balls with grade 10 or 25 stainless loose balls. The race will have to be in unpitted/corroded condition though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have not put it together correctly.

See the info on parktools on servicing aheasets.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks everyone for your replies, I've got a better understanding of it all now!
    1997 Kona Koa
    2004 GT Avalanche
    2010 Carrera Subway Zero
    Dawes Discovery