Starting From Scratch

TheJefu
TheJefu Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys, my first post here and was looking for some beginners advice.

I'm looking into starting road cycling; specifically as a means of commuting to and from University, leisure and weekend cycling, to get fit, and hopefully to go on a European adventure next summer. I'm also sadly, a student. Not only is the wealth of bikes, gear and accessories blowing my mind, the cost is also looking increasingly intimidating.

Given that I'm going to be working on a limited budget over the next 10 months, I'm looking to get a bike with enough quality to take abroad and be comfortable for extended riding, but without breaking the bank. So far I have been recommended the Specialized Allez 16 as a minimum, something like the Boardman Road Race Bike 2011/2012 as being optimal to my requirements. Any advice on an entry bike with enough punch to get me from a beginner level to an ad-hoc French tour would be appreciated. I understand that a large gap exists between a bike for a uni commute and a small tour, but as you can imagine I don't really have the pocket for both a commuter and a serious road bike.

I'd also welcome any other advice on what specifically you would recommend I prioritise my funds on to maximize my utility as I'm swamped with cycling gear, some ranging from £10-£100 with little useful understanding of the level of quality I might need. I have tried my best to familiarise myself with the buying guides out their on the web the best I can, but would can't resist the ability to come on here and ask you experienced folk you're recommendations as to what I should be looking at getting my hands on in the near future in terms of the bike itself, and the basic level of essential gear I shouldn't live without.

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Not to answer your questions with more questions...but!

Do you have a Decathalon near you? Their entry level road bikes are a price bracket below those of the bigger brands, and seem to get OK reviews.

Also, how long is the commute to uni? Is there secure(ish) bike parking?

As for equipment, I would say you want some bib shorts for the longer rides, with a pair of cycling tights, without a pad, for when it gets colder, (wear the bib shorts under the tights). When I started, I got away with wearing t-shirts and hoodies on top, to begin with. Oh and also a helmet.

Then I'd recommend cliples pedals as your first upgrade.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've also heard good things of Decathalon stuff. Also I terms of kit you're in luck, get down to Lidl tomorrow
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=33858

Don't get the saddle, spoke reflectors or floor pump, everything else is fine.
  • I only got it last week, but I'm pretty dammed impressed with my Boardman Road Race. You get a lot of bike for the money, and it's been pretty comfortable after about 200 miles. The only weak link is Halfords, though that largely seems to depend on the store. Personally I found the bike has been pretty well set up by the Wolverhampton branch, but had lost the cleats for the SPD pedals when I went to collect the bike.

The one thing I would highly recommend investing in is padded cycling shorts. I got a pair of Funkier 10 Panel Active shorts for £27 from Chain Reaction Cycles, and they're pretty dammed good for the money. For the longer rides though I bought some Endura FS-260 Pro bib shorts, and they've proven to be incredibly comfortably after 50 miles in them today!
  • TheJefu
    edited August 2012
    Commute is absolutely nothing, few miles. And yes they got secure bike sheds you can use.

Lidl is a great find, thanks for the recommendation.

Question: Does the boardman road bike accomodate a rack come next Summer? I'm actively looking for something which would house gear. I know that road bikes aren't for touring, but given I'd be using good European roads and general road cycling/racing is more what I'm excited about.

Looking at Decathlon now, Triban 5 looks good for £499.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html

Or the Triban 3 £299 (Change the crap heavy tyres)
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Would I be write in assuming that the Triban 3 is a little suboptimal or do you think it would cut it?
  • No, it doesn't have rack mounts.
  • TheJefu
    Reading reviews and given this being my first ever road bike, I'm thinking of going with the Triban 3 as it seems like great value for money and the added leeway should allow for me to replace the pedals/saddle/tyres as well as to allow me to get other required gear to get me into the sport.

What do you guys think? And what might you recommend as suitable replacements for the mentioned components? There's a decathlon down in Stockport (I'm in Manchester) so its appearing a great option.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    In your position I would try a couple of things.
    I would forget a new bike I would go for a second hand one off the internet, ebay, classifieds here or veloriders, or by word of mouth in clubs near you. You will get better value for money.
    One thing I wont skimp on is clothing but I have bought some decent bib tights from decathlon before for £50 and they were as good as some double that cost I have. I usually get them non padded and wear shorts beneath.
    Good shorts are important.
    For clothing you can get some good deals on ebay, I bought two assos air block jackets for £55 each, these are very warm and very good.
    I dont wear gloves in summer, but in winter I wear gloves I bought from industrial clothing site lol they are for cryogen handling and only cost £5 and are better than gloves I had £45!!
    Clothes can be built up over time also.
  • TheJefu
    Thanks again for advice.

I've shopped around for second hand bikes and have not come across anything in a week or so. More so, I get uncomfortable looking as I have no experience or knowledge to know what I'm buying or what is good value.

I'm happy to go first hand, especially for the Triban which is apparently famously good value.

My last question before I get myself to Decathlon would be whether the Triban has a good enough frame for me to upgrade the wheels/tyres etc as needed to bring it up to the £500+ level for more serious European riding, or if it would be essential to start on a higher level bike.
  • What tour-riding? Following Le Tour?

Or, participating in something like Marmotte, or a cycling holiday?
  • TheJefu
    What tour-riding? Following Le Tour?

Marmotte is something I'd absolutely love to be involved in, but something for the future. At this moment in time, or more specifically for Summer 2013, I want to partake in asmuch of a French tour as time and money will allow - I'd love to go down the South Coast and back but then again, I couldn't justify purchasing a touring bike as I'm more interested in road cycling/racing.

Here in exists my problem; being the first road bike I'm not wanting to rush in with my wallet; buying the Triban would allow me to train and get some cycling in whilst allowing freeing up the available cash to build up some gear and find my feet as a road cyclist. Come next Summer I will more than likely want to go an adventure, yet see myself not being able to afford the trip and a spanking new mid range bike.

Do I spend bigger now on a better bike, or could a Triban 3 be upgraded to wing it?
  • TheJefu wrote:
    What tour-riding? Following Le Tour?

Marmotte is something I'd absolutely love to be involved in, but something for the future. At this moment in time, or more specifically for Summer 2013, I want to partake in asmuch of a French tour as time and money will allow - I'd love to go down the South Coast and back but then again, I couldn't justify purchasing a touring bike as I'm more interested in road cycling/racing.

Here in exists my problem; being the first road bike I'm not wanting to rush in with my wallet; buying the Triban would allow me to train and get some cycling in whilst allowing freeing up the available cash to build up some gear and find my feet as a road cyclist. Come next Summer I will more than likely want to go an adventure, yet see myself not being able to afford the trip and a spanking new mid range bike.

As a student myself, my current road-bike is one I purchased at Halfords over a year ago. I just bought it to see if I would enjoy the road experience rather than splash big money out on a better bike. Basically, I have become addicted to cycling. I have upgraded obvious things such as my tyres, but with the bike I currently have I doubt it could sustain an adventure next summer/cycling holiday? As I graduate this academic year, it is something I really want to do in the summer before the reality of day-to-day work kicks in..
  • TheJefu
    I can relate in that im falling in love with it. I've used rented bikes and spent a few weeks recently cycling rubbish bikes in the south of France that I desperately want to get into it. Just being a student doesn't help. I think I'll just get the cheap bike and run it ragged, move up as soon as I feel like I need to.
  • Hi Jefu - if you go down the Decathlon route you can get yourself kitted out reasonably economically. That being said I can't reccommend buying any of their really cheap stuff except for the jerseys, which while a bit nasty do the job.

They grade their gear as 3,5,7 and IMHO the 3 & 5 stuff is generally not very good and not too durable. That being said, it all comes with a 2 yr warranty and for the own brand gear you don't need a receipt to get it exchanged. Their bib-short 7 in black/red are excellent and only £29.99 for a tight fitting comfy short with gel chamois. I much prefer them to my Specialized shorts that had RRP of £75.

The triban 3 looks an excellent buy for the cash and you would probably have to double the money to get a comparable spec - the carbon fork being the cherry on the cake. Living in south manc. myself I wouldn't want to be owing an expensive bike in studentville - lots of theft and burglaries. I would invest in a really good lock too (check the sales).

My only other advice, and I'm afraid this won't be great, is buy summer stuff at the end of summer and winter stuff at the end of winter there are good discounts to be had. Check wiggle out they usually have some decent prices on dhb clobber in their never ending sale.

And finally - when you want to get your lovely new steed serviced/repaired (if you can't do it yourself) the Bicycle Doctor in Rusholme does 10% for NUS card on everything but bike sales. It's a nice shop with friendly, helpful staff. Edinburgh bike co-op also has a sale on at the moment - you probably pass them on the bus daily.