Rocky Mountain sizing?

Fatboyslimjim
Fatboyslimjim Posts: 11
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello I was hoping somebody could help me out. I have been offered a good deal for my mates Rocky Mountain Slayer 30 size 18". Only problem is I am 6'/6'1" and just wondered if this bike is going to be too small for me? 
Any views would be gratefully received 

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm about the same height as you (6ft1 ish) and just got rid of my 18" slayer, was bang on for me, had to have a long-ish seat tube though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    Depends on more than height. If it's a mate ride it and see.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for all your help. I know that ultimately I will have to ride it and see (although he seems to have lost the peddles).
    I'm fairly inexperienced with all this so would there be any particular advantage / disadvantage with having the seat so high? Thanks
  • cooldad
    Sorry to harp on, but until you ride it you won't know how high the saddle will be. That depends on the length of your legs, not your height.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah as cooldad says, it doesn't depend just on height, if you had super long legs and a stumpy torso, it probably wouldn't be for you. If it was the other way around, you might be ok. I was pushing it a little though at my height.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thank you I appreciate your advice - I do need to go and see it and try it out.