camber comp fsr bushings and allen bolts

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi my rear shock is loose on my camber comp 2011 i was out for a ride today and noticed that it was making quite a bit of noise (rattling sound) and also noticed that it was a bit wobbly at the rear ... so i got alen set out and tried to tighen it up and the bolts just rounded off it was like they are made of cheese. so what has happend here is it general wear and tear on the bushings? or have the bearings gone? i have coverd 1385 miles on and off road in 13 months

i have provided some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84533015@N08/
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    They're really soft metal. Mine did this too.
  • sigorman85
    did you sort it?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look and see where the play is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Well, they seemed to have came from the factory with no threadlock, so the play was sorted by loctite and pinching them up.

As for the soft bolts, i just went to the lbs i bought it from and they gave me a spare one made from a better alloy for free.
  • sigorman85
    the bit that holds the shock has about 2-3mm play accross

• cooldad
    Probably bushings.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    cheers cool dad this normal fot just over a year

• cooldad
    Who knows. Bushings are a few quid and meant to wear out to stop more expensive parts wearing out.
    If that's what it is. You need to make sure, just likely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    cool off to the lbs tomorrow i dont really want to go as i spend more money than i intened to

• sigorman85
    lbs gave me a quote

£40 for bushings and bolts............. that are made of cheese
    £60 for full bearing set

this sound ok to you guys?

• bennett_346
    Sounds excessive. I'd be really tempted to get them from bearing and bolt outlets.
  • sigorman85
    ooo didnt no this is there any web sites?

• bennett_346
    Nah i mean take the old ones down to a factory/shop/warehouse and get some similar, likely they'll do you a good deal. They do for us in the local factory anyway.
  • cooldad
    BETD and TF Tuned do better than stock bushing kits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps sounds like you overtightened the bolts though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    ive never been near the bolts till the other day when the backend of the bike was all over the place then when i tightend them up they just rounded off the looked at the bushing where the shock joins to the frame and had some play in it

• cooldad
    If the bushings are worn, tightening the bolts would make no difference, but it would fubar them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    ps sounds like you overtightened the bolts though.
    Normally i'd agree but the bolts on recent FSR bikes have been appauling. The allen key head seems to be a very loose fit in them so chews the fitting.
  • sigorman85
    Lernt my lesson lol