Singlespeed chainset

Donn
Donn Posts: 23
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi,
I'm still on a Prophet 1000 I've had for a few years now and still rides brilliantly. My chainset / Cassette and mechs are now due a change over and I've been looking at changing the XT setup on the front to something like the Truvativ Descendant 1.1 GXP. I've not decided on whether this is the way forward or not. I was thinking 175 arms but haven't decided on 36 or 38 tooth. I'm planning on keeping with the X9 rear mech, X7 shifters and 970 cassette so only the chainset I'm undecided on.

My thinking comes from climbing on the middle ring and rarely needing to go below 3rd on the back or on the downhills yes I'll come up onto the big ring up front but never the smallest on the back.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why? The decendant is a DH crankset.

Just use your current cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Donn
    I went with the 38 tooth E13 front ring, kept the 22 tooth on along with the front mech. The rear is now Shimano Zee 10 speed with the zee shifter. All in, after 2 months of riding, it is running brilliantly. I kept the original xt cranks and front mech, mainly because the XCX chainguide I bought wouldn't go on with the rear end on the bike which in turn led me to keep the 22 tooth ring and I'm glad I did, there's been a couple of occasions I've dropped down and made good use of it.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Donn wrote:
    it is running brilliantly.

Somehow, I get my impression of "it is running brilliantly" differs vastly to yours. Looking at what you've fitted to your bike, I imagine that the front mech struggles to shift up smoothly due to the large jump in chainring sizes. It also struggles to shift down because your larger chainring has no ramps or pins and has straight cut teeth for single ring usage.

Of course, this excludes the short cage rear mech which is probably operating outside of it's intended range. Leaving you with a chain that it either too short in some gears resulting in the possibility of it snapping or breaking something else or a chain that is too long in other gears, hampering you shifting.
  • Donn
    Sorry, my mistake, the rear mech is an xt shadow long cage with zee shifter. The cassette is 11-36. I kept the 22 tooth because, I want sure how the bike would climb on a 38 tooth front ring but to be honest, it's a bit more leg work but not too bad at all. As I said, I've only dropped to the 22 tooth ring a couple of times. When I get some more free time I'll get a chainguide sorted that fits and lose the 22 tooth ring.