Cleaning the bike?

ad_snow
ad_snow Posts: 469
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Went out for a ride this morning (cut short by a puncture - d'oh!) and went through a few puddles and got the bike dirty for the first time.

I want to give it a clean but is an old toothbrush and soapy water good enough? Or is there a more hi-tech (read: expensive) way I'm supposed to do it?

Cheers :)

Comments

• baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    ad_snow wrote:
    Went out for a ride this morning (cut short by a puncture - d'oh!) and went through a few puddles and got the bike dirty for the first time.

I want to give it a clean but is an old toothbrush and soapy water good enough? Or is there a more hi-tech (read: expensive) way I'm supposed to do it?

Cheers :)

Bucket of warm water, fairy liquid and a sponge for the big bits. Toothbrush with a degreaser for chain and cogs etc. Then some lube (I prefer dry lube) when the chain is dry.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Don't forget a few cotton buds to clean the inside of screw heads, especially the bolt that holds your front brake onto the forks.
  • A bucket of warm water and a light degreaser will do it. I wouldn't use fairy liquid as it contains salts that won't be any good for the drivetrain and even some paints. A cheap brush-set is useful for getting in the nooks and crannies. For the drivetrain just run it through a rag with degreaser on for a few spins and then apply a light oil/dry lube; spin it a few more times so it penetrates the chain, then run it through a rag to get off the excess.
    Don't get degreaser or too much water near the joints and bearings as it will just shorten their life, especially the headset area when cleaning the front brakes.
    Must admit, its nearly as much fun cleaning it as it is riding it :D.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Definitely not fairy liquid (as has been said - salt). I use good quality car shampoo (as do many teams).
  • The most important parts to pay attention to are the exposed moving parts and drivetrain. Attack transmission with with degreaser and stiff brush, make sure brake pivots are clean.

Beyond that, it's good to use a car shampoo or dedicated bike wash to keep it clean. I use Green Oil products all round, and they work very well. You don't need to worry about doing it immediately after arriving home.

Some people also labour under the illusion that it's necessary to smother your bike with heavy solvents (scotoil etc); you don't.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I hose mine down and leave it at that.

Lately I have started giving everything a quick spray with muc-off pink spray first, and a quick rub over with a sponge.

If I can be really bothered I will spray some PTFE on the moving bits, and oil the chain, but usually I save that for the fortnightly "deep clean".

Have had no running probs at all with this regime. Depends how much time you have to spare, I guess.

Tons of threads on this.