Time for a saddle upgrade?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
This year I've made the transition to 100 mile rides rather than the 60 miles or so which I'd tackled previously. I'm pleased with my progress and I'm getting the hang of "fuelling up" for longer rides, but the increased distance leaves me with "numb bum" at the end of the ride. This never lasts for longer than 30 mins or so but I'm undecided whether it's an inevitable result of several hours in the saddle, or a need for an upgrade. Therefore advice from sage cyclists is sought. :)

My riding position is good, as a result of a bike fit.
My current saddle is the stock Bontrager Affinity 2.
I wear padded shorts! :roll:
I use Assos cream before the ride.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    baldwin471 wrote:

Good review too - "my ass is satisfied."
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    I recommend you try a few before you buy. My lbs has a saddle test scheme, so i would check with yours for something similar. I ended up settling for the fizik kurve snake, but went through 5 saddles before i was convinced.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm a fan of cutout style saddles, seem to work for me
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Take a look at a Charge Spoon,i have one ,my mate changed to one,longest ride on it Leeds Market Weighton Leeds, 104 miles. comfy,and it will not break the bank,if you don't like it ,it will sell on maybe dropping only a fiver.Good luck.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    baldwin471 wrote:

I have v similar one, the SLR Fibra, Planet X usually have some good deals on them, be careful with the carbon rails as to whether they will fot your seatpost, they are oversized. I ended up getting a new seatpost to make it all fit perfectly, good excuse to upgrade though.

Very little padding in the saddle but comfy for the 10 plus hours of The Etape, I'd buy another. Only bought it as the rails on my original saddle snapped and Planet X were open on a Sunday so I could get out and ride still!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    baldwin471 wrote:

I love this saddle but I had to let mine go as it gave me the worst dead dick on 3+ hour rides. For me a cut-out is absolutely necessary to avoid numbness. I went to a Specialized dealer and got measured up. Ended up with a Romin Pro Evo; however, it wasn't the most comfortable so now I'm on a Toupe Pro which I'm very happy with.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    64.99 for the Sella Italia at Planet X, Vanox rails should fit most seatposts as well.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there Peddle Up, I am not sure that your 'numb bum' isn't an inevitable result of spending 6+ hours sat down, bumping around on British roads. After doing long rides there is always some part of me that aches, twinges, moans a bit at some point and I figure that this is down to doing a somewhat unnatural action in a limited range of positions for such a sustained time. Hence, I try and get out of the saddle when I feel I need it, do a couple of stretches off the bike when I have to take a break (either a natural break or a control stop, etc.) and then make sure I have a good stretching session at the end. I often go out for a walk later and, when doing all that, I can feel the blood getting back around and the muscles, bits, etc., all getting back to shape.

If your saddle is fine for 60 but you get a bit of a numb bum after 100m then, personally, I don't think there is much wrong with the saddle. However, if you can borrow a few before buying another one then that would be well worth a go, as would the Specialized 'cut out' style (I like the Avatar but will probably go for a Toupe Comp next time around).
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a sadle upgrade. There are only saddles that
    do or don't work well for YOU.
    As for me, the best one so far is my current one, a Sella Italia SL XC Flow. Apparently this model began life as a MTB saddle but roadies seem to really like it also. As I understand it is one of Sella Italia's most popular models. Good sit bone width at the back and a nice cutout. For me I would rate it almost a 10.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Saddles are ridiculously personal so there's not much use in getting recommendations - you just have to try them.

I like a cutout too - I was never uncomfortable on my old saddle (rode SI Turbo for years) but started to get really numb a few years ago.

Switched to a Specialized BG model and instantly no numbness - not ever. They have different widths and a thing to sit on in the shop so you can get the right one. Works for me and it makes sense but I can't guarantee it would work for you.

Ebay is a good bet too - you can often pick up a scruffy version of what you want for £10 or so and then get a good one once you know it suits you.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've just bought one of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50504

At first glance, it seems a bit firm, but the shape is fantastic. I've found it extremely comfortable. You can have all the padding and cut outs in the world, but if that shape isn't right for your ass, it's not going to be comfortable.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved