2013 Venge

izza
izza Posts: 1,561
edited October 2012 in Your road bikes
With 99thmonkey riding one as well they appear to be as common as muck but I don't care!

08976C2B-A6FC-4C7B-9AF9-80AB2076DF17-2130-0000034442F43C65.jpg

Comments

• 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    58? Big bugger!

Nice contrast of using black saddle / tape

P1030766.jpg

Enjoy buddy its one of the nicest frames / colours they have delivered in a decade or so
  • Bike looks great, regarding the size as said by 99thmonkey is it a 58 or 60? And if you don't mind me asking how tall are you? I'm interested as I'm quite a tall rider.
  • 99thmonkey
    Mines a 56 and Im 6ft but I reckon I could ride a 54 too!
  • I used to ride a 56 Allez (which I did like) and I'm 6'2. I did have a 130mm stem on it though. Liked the look of the venge since it came out.. I'm more of a climber though :(
  • izza
    I'm 6' 2" with 34 inch inside leg.

It is a 58 as deemed by Concept Store BG fit a few years back when I bought a Tarmac.
  • Cheers Izza, I have the same inside leg as you as well so thats interesting. Thanks for the help and once again beautiful bike(s) guys.
  • 99thmonkey
    You see I have a 33 inside leg and would ride 54 or 56, the 58 is massive! Its all personal preference. According to Specialized Im a 58 and I know 10 others who would be too but we all ride a size down, on a 58 I cant get over the front wheel on the hard climbs as well
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice bikes...
  • izza
    RideOnTime wrote:
    nice bikes...

Thanks for positive comments.

Had many more yesterday when I took it/her (are bikes he's, she's or it's?) out for first ride. The bike is better than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, having not been on a bike for a month I bonked badly and embarrassed the bike with a slow crawl home.
  • izza
    Punished the legs for bonking by going for some Regents Park laps today with a friend.

OK, so I'm biased because of new ownership but this bike continues to go up and up in my opinion. For group riding it felt significantly easier when on someone's rear tyre and comes alive when out of the saddle (both sprints and inclines).
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Lovely looking bike

I'll keep an eye out for you as I quite often squeeze in a lap or two of Regent's Park on my way into work (2011 Black/White/Red S-Works Tarmac SL3)
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Both bikes look great. Have to say had a Venge earlier this year and was a great bike though I wished I had bought a 54cm as it has 14mm taller stand over than my 56cm Tarmac. For a guy like me with shorter legs that made it feel bigger than it was. I'll never say never to another Venge pending funds...!

I did Bristol to London AMR ride Sunday, 117 miles in 6 hours 4 mins and reckon a Venge is ideal for this ride.

Good work guys. Lovely bikes.
  • izza
    Both bikes look great. Have to say had a Venge earlier this year and was a great bike though I wished I had bought a 54cm as it has 14mm taller stand over than my 56cm Tarmac. For a guy like me with shorter legs that made it feel bigger than it was. I'll never say never to another Venge pending funds...!

I did Bristol to London AMR ride Sunday, 117 miles in 6 hours 4 mins and reckon a Venge is ideal for this ride.

Good work guys. Lovely bikes.

Thanks for comments.

snakedoc wrote:
    Lovely looking bike

I'll keep an eye out for you as I quite often squeeze in a lap or two of Regent's Park on my way into work (2011 Black/White/Red S-Works Tarmac SL3)

Work sees me travelling tomorrow up North so early morning Highgate West repeats I'm afraid. Next Tuesday evening for another round or two of Regents after work?
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Great looking machines......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • izza
    Upgrades have arrived in the post - DA chainset and rear mech, DA chain and some gel for the handlebars.

Lightweight skewers should arrive next week and that should do for this month's spend!!
  • izza
    venge2.jpg
  • How do you find the shifting with the old ultegras? They usually dont play that nicely as I recall!

Cranks a big improvement in look and ride, I cant decide whether to buy a Venge Comp or a SL4
  • izza
    To be honest, I've always had the Dura Ace Sti and Ultegra chainrings and switched them between frames.

As such, I take their quality of changing as the 'norm'. My first experience of using other equipment was the test ride on the store's Venge. I'll only know how much of an improvement the DA rings are in the next few rides.

As for Venge or SL4 - horses for courses. Get down to a concept store and try the two out back to back.
  • izza
    According to Roadbikereview forums there is another option. Buy Ultegra crankset (poss. used) and then switch to Praxis Works rings. Weight saving supposedly puts you between Ultegra and DA and changing is DA quality.

That is only what I have read but since I'll be looking to sell my old Ultegra crankset I won't argue!
  • izza
    Last few small modifications. Weight of the bike now measures 7.5kg all in - for reference it is a 58 cm frame.

stem.jpg
    kcncrear.jpg
    kcncrear2.jpg
    kcnc.jpg
    duraace.jpg

And most importantly, the view my wedding tackle gets..............
    toptube.jpg

The only other modification I will consider is to follow 99thmonkey into the electronic gears. That will have to be next season though.
  • What is the purpose of the bike? I am new to riding as I have owned my Defy for only 4 months now. I think it is a fantastic looking bike but whats it like on the climbs or is is a strictly flat road aero all out bike?
  • Its a bike Graham! Suited more to flat out speed than anything else but all this how it climbs crap is rubbish, a bike climbs best when it has good wheels on it and a strong well trained pair of legs and lungs delivering power through it. Simple. Venge is a very very good bike and looks the nuts but it wont make you grow sideburns and win the tour.
  • izza
    What is the purpose of the bike? I am new to riding as I have owned my Defy for only 4 months now. I think it is a fantastic looking bike but whats it like on the climbs or is is a strictly flat road aero all out bike?

The best (and that doesn't mean most complimentary) review I have seen is here - http://vimeo.com/29940750

Within there is the statement that the bike is aimed at people who are more interested in pure power output rather than power to weight ratio. As such, on the flat or in a sprint is when the bike truly excels. However, that doesn't mean the bike is poor at climbing. Yes, if I lived in the Alps, the fact it is 250g heavier than my S-works SL3 tarmac may start to get to me but for a heavyweight (over 13stone) rider in rolling countryside (I am based North London/Herts) then most inclines are dealt with via steady head down for a few minutes or an out of the saddle 'one minute burst'. For these situations the bike is just as effective as the Tarmac if not better.
  • Nice one. Yeah thought so. Someone said Specialized aren't the lightest anyway... but it isn't always the most important thing. Beautiful bike :wink:
  • izza
    Nice one. Yeah thought so. Someone said Specialized aren't the lightest anyway... but it isn't always the most important thing. Beautiful bike :wink:

Mine's a 58cm frame and all in weighs 7.47kg
  • izza
    izza wrote:
    Last few small modifications.............

.............the only other modification I will consider is to follow 99thmonkey into the electronic gears. That will have to be next season though.

I lied on both counts. Switched to 7900 gear all around - suffice to say, mclasper is a gent! Love the new gear changes.

venge006.jpg
    venge004.jpg
  • Taking shape, how tall are you Ian?
  • izza
    99thmonkey wrote:
    Taking shape, how tall are you Ian?

Thanks. In terms of fettling, I want to try the 700x24c S-works tyres but the launch has been delayed until Jan/Feb 2013. They are being marketed as faster and more comfortable.

As for my size, 6' 2", inside leg 34", 85kg.
  • What is the height from centre crank arm to top saddle? I trying to find out what size fits me. I'm 190cm, (6' 3"?) with 94cm leg length (37"). Spec website tells me 58. My current bike is between their sizes 58 and 61 so I'm having a hard time deciding. I believe the biggest problem is the height, both saddle and bar. I would appreciate if you took the time to measure.. :)
  • Is that a £8500 bike??