Neil Armstrong

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on the moon, has died. He was 82.

I am old enough to remember watching fuzzy black and white television broadcasts of men landing on the moon. Whether I saw Armstrong, I don't know.

Some sobering facts: only twelve men have walked on the moon. Of them, only 8 are still alive. The youngest is 76. Come December this year, no one will have walked on the moon for 40 years. Before long, there will be no one alive on Earth who has walked on the moon.

We no longer have a Space Shuttle. Concorde has gone without a successor.

Where did it all go wrong?

(To those who believe that the moon landings were faked in a hanger in the Nevada desert, just fcuk off.)
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    If you haven't read "The Right Stuff" you need to read it straight away.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Right-Stuff ... 0099479370

If you believe that the moon landings were faked in a hanger in the Nevada desert, just fcuk off
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Greg66 wrote:
    no one will have walked on the moon for 40 years. Before long, there will be no one alive on Earth who has walked on the moon.

Genuine question. Is there any particular reason to go back?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • For me, there is answer enough to that question in "because it's there". We didn't stop going to the Americas after the first few ships had returned, and we didn't stop climbing Everest after the first few ascents.

I sometimes wonder whether the future of the human race was most accurately portrayed in the spaceship in Wall-E.

Hold on, that would require us to head back into space.

Christ. It's even bleaker than that...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Greg66 wrote:
    I sometimes wonder whether the future of the human race was most accurately portrayed in the spaceship in Wall-E.
    I've thought that too.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2012
    Can't believe he doped and never will. I may have the wrong Armstrong :oops:

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky!
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • TheEnglishman
    TheEnglishman Posts: 587
    edited August 2012
    Greg66 wrote:

No, not really. Unless we want another pen that writes upside down. Or tiles that hold their heat really really well. Or carbon fibre technology. etc etc.

It seems nothing drives technological advancement like a good war or a space race.

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky!

Top gag :lol:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,962
    Greg66 wrote:
    no one will have walked on the moon for 40 years. Before long, there will be no one alive on Earth who has walked on the moon.

To get more cheese?
  • Greg66 wrote:

No, not really. Unless we want another pen that writes upside down. Or tiles that hold their heat really really well. Or carbon fibre technology. etc etc.

It seems nothing drives technological advancement like a good war or a space race.
  • tailwindhome
    Unless we want another pen that writes upside down.

I've always liked the story that while the Americans spent millions of dollars developing a pen which could write upside in space the Russians considered the options and just took a pencil.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Before we all start wearing sandwich boards emblazoned "the end is nigh", we should remember that we have just successfully landed on Mars, a much more difficult target to hit given that it's a lot further away ~ at least 56 million kilometres as opposed to 384,405 km, and both Earth and Mars are on different elliptical orbits. The Russians are still taking people to and from the ISS, and I'm sure the Chinese are thinking about it. When you look at how colossally expensive manned space flight [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA}is[/url} - more than 4% of the federal budget in '65 and '66 in the buildup to Apollo, it's more surprising that Russia are still doing it than that the USA are taking some time off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Greg66 wrote:

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky!

Technically things lke the biro and aerogels have been around for longer than a lot of space aencies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballpoint_pen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340

I've always liked the story that while the Americans spent millions of dollars developing a pen which could write upside in space the Russians considered the options and just took a pencil.

I understood that was a bit of a myth, but it's true that the Russians came up with Soyuz: a relatively cheap (compared with Apollo) rocket that worked, and have stuck with it from the '60s to the present.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Greg66 wrote:

Aye. Mining of Helium-3.
    rjsterry wrote:
    I understood that was a bit of a myth.
    Yeah the pencil thing is a myth. You can't risk having bits of conductive material floating around a spaceship in zero g.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    Greg66 wrote:
    For me, there is answer enough to that question in "because it's there". We didn't stop going to the Americas after the first few ships had returned, and we didn't stop climbing Everest after the first few ascents.
    I've been to America, there is stuff there. And it's fairly cheap to get to.

NBC-Neil-Young.jpg

561578_473212982697843_1484406414_n.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    rjsterry wrote:
    I understood that was a bit of a myth.
    Yeah the pencil thing is a myth. You can't risk having bits of conductive material floating around a spaceship in zero g.[/quote]

Good story though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's lengthy, but a must read (in my opinion)

This really says it all for me:

http://launiusr.wordpress.com/2012/02/0 ... in-africa/
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I strongly agree in going back.Space exploration is more than just walking on the moon.
    As human beings we need to push our selves,other wise the world would grind to a halt,nothing would be created and nothing would get made.The world would become stagnant and wither away.

Going to the moon has been mankinds greatest ever achievement and going to Mars pushes that envelope even further.

Would a cyclist give up after a few hundred yards or do they push on.Thats what the space industry does,push on and develop new ideas that move the world forward.

The flip side of course is money,it isnt cheap to go into space but i firmly believe that we should always try.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    RIP Neil Armstrong. The man responsible for the United States most unique achievement: planting the Stars and Stripes somewhere without having to kill anyone.
  • The Onion take on it (NSFW)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky!

Technically things lke the biro and aerogels have been around for longer than a lot of space aencies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballpoint_pen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Biros don't write upside down, underwater, or in a vacuum. You're thinking of the Fisher Space Pen.

The Russians took pencils.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tailwindhome
    Was just reading the Wikipedia pages on the moon landings. Apparently there was a contingency speech prepared in the event that Armstrong and Aldrin couldn't get back from the surface. Quite poignant in the circumstances
    Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Very poignant speech, thankfully not needed.

I too consider the Apollo mission to be mankinds greatest achievement, surely the future for our kind is in space-we are simply using up this planets resources at too fast a rate to survive here in the long term
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I read the other day that Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about being on the moon, and then said, "well, I guess you had to be there".
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    rjsterry wrote:

I understood that was a bit of a myth, but it's true that the Russians came up with Soyuz: a relatively cheap (compared with Apollo) rocket that worked, and have stuck with it from the '60s to the present.

Which is why the Russians have only ever lost 4 crew on missions compared to the the 14 Astronauts lost on Shuttle missions. The Shuttle was a huge dead end for the US space programme which is why the future of manned orbital flight will be privatised.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Which is why the Russians have only ever lost 4 crew on missions compared to the the 14 Astronauts lost on Shuttle missions. The Shuttle was a huge dead end for the US space programme which is why the future of manned orbital flight will be privatised.

Only if you consider forward progress and startling technological achievements to be a "dead end". Sometimes difficult things are just worth doing.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Which is why the Russians have only ever lost 4 crew on missions compared to the the 14 Astronauts lost on Shuttle missions.

Whilst the Russians have had fewer fatalities they have also flown significantly fewer missions and put many times less people into space. I'm thinking the deaths per mission / man in space ratio may be about the same ish . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    prj45 wrote:
    I read the other day that Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about being on the moon, and then said, "well, I guess you had to be there".
    :lol:
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    davis wrote:
    Big_Paul wrote:

Only if you consider forward progress and startling technological achievements to be a "dead end". Sometimes difficult things are just worth doing.

It didn't really achieve much, it was a compromise design that didn't really live up to it's expectations, it couldn't lift that much into orbit compared to an expendable booster, needed hugely expensive maintainence after every flight and it's one saving grace was the ability to retrieve satellites.

Despite what the NASA folk said, it never made space flight routine, the closest it came was in 1984-86 when the Shuttle programme was so stressed they ignored the engineers until the inevitable happened.

Mike Mullane, a retired astronaut wrote a book called "Riding Rockets" it certaimly opened my eyes to the inner workings of NASA and the Shuttle.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Big_Paul wrote:
    The Shuttle was a huge dead end for the US space programme which is why the future of manned orbital flight will be privatised.
    Shuttle was a mixed bag. It was expensive but it also had flexibility and Shuttle missions performed some tasks which cannot be completed by any other craft.

As for privatised? Yes I agree - orbital flight will be private enterprise. This will leave the public purse free to move into deep space - one of the main reasons why Shuttle had to go. NASA cannot afford two programs at the same time.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.