Which Shoes

yanktanks
yanktanks Posts: 60
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting a new pair of shoes mainly trail and forest riding.
I like the look of the shimano mp66 or the five ten freeride's

Has anyone got any experience and can anyone recconend hat else i should perhaps look at

Cheers

Martin

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Surely this should go in Buying Advice?

I've got the 5:10 Line King Freerider
    http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/5971-line-king-scorched-black

Look good, very grippy, tough enough. A little wide but then again I have narrow feet. I work offshore and use them for work too because of the grip mainly (as well as dusty, rocky, long, gnarly Alpine DH trails) All good so far
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...and depending on foot size can be had for a much more reasonable £60 here;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=79583
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mp66 is a SPD shoe, 5 10 is a flat shoe!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Northwind wrote:
    Mp66 is a SPD shoe, 5 10 is a flat shoe!

I was going to suggest they were somewhat different markets!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SPD or Flat is a choice only you can make. Really just comes down to what you get on with.

If you want flats though, Five Tens are always great. Basically all down to the sole. It's very grippy. You need good pedals though with wide flat platform and big pins. Any waffle tread shoe will do also (e.g. skate shoes).

The Freerides I've not tried though tempted by them for being less bulky than the regular Impacts. Though I was put off before by reports of the sole coming off the shoe. The Impacts are bulky, and they are a sponge when it comes to water, but they work great and are tough shoes.
  • Northwind
    Freeride's an excellent shoe... TBH it confuses me that people still buy the Impact, the only thing it does better is toe protection. Oh and fractionally more grip, which you don't need. In return it's massive, clumpy, thick-soled, and soaks up water like a sponge then never dries, then falls apart.

(I especially like it when people obsess about getting the thinnest pedals, then stand on them with their Impact platform soles ;) )
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    Freeride's an excellent shoe... TBH it confuses me that people still buy the Impact, the only thing it does better is toe protection. Oh and fractionally more grip, which you don't need. In return it's massive, clumpy, thick-soled, and soaks up water like a sponge then never dries, then falls apart.

(I especially like it when people obsess about getting the thinnest pedals, then stand on them with their Impact platform soles ;) )

They have a thicker sole so better for people like me who get bad feet on the bike, can ride for longer in less pain and in return I just have to put up with slightly wetter feet and slightly heavier shoes. Plus that toe protection can come in handy, I've really hurt them bashing them off of tree stumps and rocks and dragging my feet under the pedals (that one really hurts). I'm not going to pretend that I know I would have broken toes if I was wearing Freerider's instead (there is of course no way of finding out) but I'll continue to wear the Impact's thanks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mashing up my toe with crap shoes is what made me go for the Impacts over the Freeride, that and the poor reviews at the time for the Freeride, as I say about the soles coming off (argument is the sole doesn't wrap around to the sides like the Impact and various people have seen them detach).

That said, I'm considering a Freeride to complement the Impacts.
  • Northwind
    The soles come off impacts too though :wink:

The freerider sole's very similiar in stiffness to the Impact, it's thinner but denser.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've had freerides for over a year and they are excellent, really can't fault them. They stick to decent pedals like you know what and the look the bow-lochs
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Had impacts, felt like a golf club so got rid and bought freerider's instead.

Brilliant shoe, used in all conditions for well over a year and the soles haven't fallen off yet.