Caliper bolts

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I've misplaced the bolts that hold my shimano brake calipers to the mounts, I can't seem to find shimano ones amywhere, will avid ones still fit? They're the long bolts with all the spacers and stuff just to confirm :)

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pretty much any M5 cap head bolt of the right length will do. You can get them off ebay for buttons go for the ones that come with threadlock already applied.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    welshkev wrote:
    Hi guys, I've misplaced the bolts that hold my shimano brake calipers to the mounts, I can't seem to find shimano ones amywhere, will avid ones still fit? They're the long bolts with all the spacers and stuff just to confirm :)
    Er, Shimano callipers don't use spacers and all that guff. What exactly have you lost?
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    Er, Shimano callipers don't use spacers and all that guff. What exactly have you lost?

Ah arse, I'm not exactly sure then. I bought the brakes second hand and they came with all the bolts and stuff bagged up separately and I've lost the bags of bolts and just assumed they were the same bolts, spacers etc as the avids I've got.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Shimano use the same bolt diameter as everything else, but Avids have longer bolts to accommodate those bloody conical washer things.
    No other brake uses those washers, so just be careful that the adapter thread is deep enough, or you may end up bottoming out the bolts and rounding the threads off.
  • welshkev
    Ok cool, cheers guys :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What Yeehaa said.
    Pretty much any M5 cap head bolt of the right length will do

Aren't they M6?
  • stubs
    njee20 wrote:
    What Yeehaa said.
    Pretty much any M5 cap head bolt of the right length will do

Aren't they M6?

Must admit I have never measured one but they look like M5. Will have to go and check.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • welshkev
    Just looking around and it looks like they are m6 bolts, cheers again guys
  • stubs
    Ooops I was wrong :(
    it is an M6 just been to shed and measured an original Shimano caliper bolt. It is M6 x 18mm long.
  • welshkev
    stubs wrote:
    Ooops I was wrong :(
    it is an M6 just been to shed and measured an original Shimano caliper bolt. It is M6 x 18mm long.

Cheers bud, now I know exactly what I need rather than guessing. And my guess work usually ends up in my bike being broken :)
  • May be wrong, but I'm almost certain I have a handfull of spare Shimano brake caliper bolts knocking around in my bike box (don't ask why).

Lemme know if you need one mate and we can sort summat.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I definitely have, as I've replaced my XTR ones with ti.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Resurrecting this thread as after some bolts for my front brake caliper to fit a shimano 180 post mount adapter.

The bolts supplied have those silly cone shaped washer and prefer the old style bolts.

Anyone know the size is need I've googled and its come up with M6 32mm and 28mm?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Presumably you have the Shimano 'straight through' adaptor needing the longer bolts and one set of CPS washers per bolt between the calliper and underside of the bolt head?

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... -3857B.pdf
    M6x38 and M6x32 for a 180 disc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Presumably you have the Shimano 'straight through' adaptor needing the longer bolts and one set of CPS washers per bolt between the calliper and underside of the bolt head?

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... -3857B.pdf
    M6x38 and M6x32 for a 180 disc.

Yes its a straight through adapter retail packaged I bought from crc.

Is this a new shimano thing to have these cps washers as my 160mm caliper bolts are the usual m6 with a single washer.

The cps washers are just awkward and tightening the bolts its moving the caliper out of position.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano use them on the straight through adaptor, it's because PM is not a radial mount so the adaptor is wider at one end than the other, so when you do the bolts up they don't sit square on the top face of the calliper and it twists even worse than if you use the washers. We have one on my sons Scott.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.