Hello, I'm new!

nickponty
nickponty Posts: 61
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Afternoon all,

I've been skulking round the forums for a while in anticipation of getting my first road bike and the moment arrived yesterday so I thought I'd break cover and introduce myself, and my new toy, a Trek 1.5 C 2013.

pic.twitter.com/kP833LpW

My riding experience to-date has been a couple of cheap mountain bikes as a kid, and a few treks around London on a Boris Bike! However, given my lack of exercise and love of watching cycling, I thought now was the time to get involved! I'm 29, 6'5" and slim, with reasonable fitness despite no exercise in a few years beyond the odd bit of jogging, my expectations are low, don't ever imagine I'll do anything beyond commuting to and from work and a nice ride out on a Sunday, but I'd love to do a sportive one day, I think that's a little way off yet.

I've had a couple of short rides since picking it up yesterday and have noticed two things:

1. Road bikes are fast! Ok, I'm comparing them to the last thing I rode, a Boris Bike, but they are quick! And fun!
2. My arse hurts! Think I may have to get some padded shorts!

Anyway, I really just wanted to say hi, no doubt I'll be asking you all for lots of advice in the coming months!

Nick

Comments

• Hi and welcome. A decent pair of padded shorts are must.
  • nickponty wrote:

2. My ars* hurts! Think I may have to get some padded shorts!

We all seem to start off thinking that we won't need these :oops:

nickponty wrote:
    Anyway, I really just wanted to say hi, no doubt I'll be asking you all for lots of advice in the coming months!

Hi and welcome :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Hello, I'm new also welcome. Depending on your budget and mine is tighter than a nats a$$e I just got a pair of Altura Progel Lycra Cycling Shorts - Mens 2012 and they are better than the billy basics.
    I don't know whether you have shoes but I have the old pedal with a strap. Embarrassing falls at zero mph is enough to get me to start looking for a pair of proper cycling shoes. Although I've no idea where to start
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • DWFuego
    DWFuego Posts: 2
    I don't know whether you have shoes but I have the old pedal with a strap. Embarrassing falls at zero mph is enough to get me to start looking for a pair of proper cycling shoes. Although I've no idea where to start[/quote]

I just recently bought a set of shimano SPD pedals and dhb shoes off wiggle because I got tired of the straps after three weeks of riding my new bike. Both were reasonablly priced and seemed the place to start for me (i think the pedals were 26 quid, cant remember the shoes but they were no more than 50 quid).
  • If you can't handle clips and straps, you aren't ready for SPDs!
  • I got a pair of these and find them very comfortable indeed, longest ride so far was just over 30 miles and I didn't have any issues with the shorts

Funkier 10 Panel Active
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80745

I've also got a pair of Endura FS-260 Pro bib shorts, and would highly recommend them if your budget allows.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you can't handle clips and straps, you aren't ready for SPDs!
    That's just so not true!

The problem with toe clips was that you strapped yourself in, just look at the track cyclists, when they come to a stop someone has to catch them and undo the straps for them.

Clipless pedals were invented so you could have the benefits of being attached to your pedal, without the problem of un-strapping when you came to a stop.
  • Thanks all,

I'm definitely going to invest in some padded shorts. Not ready for the Lycra look yet though, so they'll prob be hidden under something else. Bit tight budget wise so thanks for the recommendations, had been thinking I'd need to spend £40, so that's a bit of a relief.

As for pedals/shoes, I've got straps on some very basic pedals, but I'm really not a fan so have actually taken them off and just use the bare pedal, which is fine for me for now, but depending how I go I'll be looking to get some SPDs, but I'm concerned I'll just end up falling off at every set of lights!

Nick
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    If you can't handle clips and straps, you aren't ready for SPDs!
    That's just so not true!

The problem with toe clips was that you strapped yourself in, just look at the track cyclists, when they come to a stop someone has to catch them and undo the straps for them.

Clipless pedals were invented so you could have the benefits of being attached to your pedal, without the problem of un-strapping when you came to a stop.

Clips and straps were the standard for the best part of a century.

If you wear old style cleats and tighten your straps, you may indeed fall over. Even if you loosen the straps, the cleats may still keep you in place. But otherwise, that simply isn't the case at all. Have you actually ever used them, out of interest?

It's all user error on part of spoiled and misinformed beginners. You don't even have to tighten your straps, but if you do, you just reach down and loosen them. It's not difficult, and you definitely don't need someone else to do it! If you wear shoes without lots of silly protrusions on, you shouldn't have any problem getting your foot out, possibly even if you do tighten the straps.

I put thousands of miles on my old Christophe clips; they work really well once you get used to them. Honest! :)
  • nickponty wrote:
    Thanks all,

I'm definitely going to invest in some padded shorts. Not ready for the Lycra look yet though, so they'll prob be hidden under something else. Bit tight budget wise so thanks for the recommendations, had been thinking I'd need to spend £40, so that's a bit of a relief.

As for pedals/shoes, I've got straps on some very basic pedals, but I'm really not a fan so have actually taken them off and just use the bare pedal, which is fine for me for now, but depending how I go I'll be looking to get some SPDs, but I'm concerned I'll just end up falling off at every set of lights!

Nick

Don't believe the rubbish you read in places like this. Clips are fine. They take a little getting used to but so do spds. They are a lot better than plain platforms because your feet won't slip around. Loosen the straps all the way and do some rides with them. In no time you'll wonder what you ever did without them, and flipping the pedal over will become second nature.
  • nickponty wrote:
    Thanks all,

Nick

I did a 50 mile ride in these last week and they were okay.
    There are much better ones out there but they are good for £20 delivered.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271036215846?var=570107453084&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2417wt_1253
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • DWFuego wrote:
    I don't know whether you have shoes but I have the old pedal with a strap. Embarrassing falls at zero mph is enough to get me to start looking for a pair of proper cycling shoes. Although I've no idea where to start

I just recently bought a set of shimano SPD pedals and dhb shoes off wiggle because I got tired of the straps after three weeks of riding my new bike. Both were reasonablly priced and seemed the place to start for me (i think the pedals were 26 quid, cant remember the shoes but they were no more than 50 quid).[/quote]

Mate I have just done the same
    1 x Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport Pedals Black
    1 x Shimano R064 Road Cycling Shoes 42 Black/Silver

My wife said get done your embarrassing me her colleague at work shouted across the call centre "Jill your husband has fell again"
  • Falling happens. Just the fact that the foot is being restrained rather than 'free' as on a plain platform is enough to make some beginners wobble. This is why clips are good to start on, as a loose strap is a bit less complicated to get out of; no twisting, you just pull your foot out.
  • Lidl doing bike stuff cheap this week could be Place to start. It's where I will be going as just getting first road bike and have no gear.
  • Lidl doing bike stuff cheap this week could be Place to start. It's where I will be going as just getting first road bike and have no gear.

I went in today and its not good really but as I'm discovering you get what you pay for