Full Suss frame upgrade

andytronics
andytronics Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I bought a Boardman HT Pro a couple of months ago, and although I really like the bike, it does my back no good at all.
I want to therefore swap the components over to a full suspension frame.
I’m looking for suggestions for a suitable frame, budget for around £500 or so, probably second hand but something new in the sales would also be fine.
I generally ride xc routes in Kent & a bit of trail centre riding in Cumbria, but no jumping or anything too extreme.
I want to utilise as many of the original components as possible, so the FS frame should be able to take BB30 bottom bracket & a tapered steerer fork etc.

Thanks Andy

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to make a full list of the components and sizes, including things like steerer length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    While you may find some half decent frames for the money, it is almost certain that many of the parts will not fit. Fork, headset, front mech, seat post, cables, hoses, botom bracket and so on, you'll really need to look at the specs to see what you can get.

Secondly are you sure it is not just ride position? FS does not always provide the comfort you might need.

If you do go for FS, I would buy a new bike. A couple of reasons: new FS frames are poor value, 2nd hand ones not that much better (and you have no warranty), and add into that the fact you may need a lot of new parts then it can be an expensive way of doing things.

A halfway house option is to buy a whole new bike, and simply swap across the best components that fit. you will never be in need for a part. Or sell and buy a new bike!

Something like this maybe?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... &vid=12521

The frame is worth 1000 quid on its own, and that's a WHOLE bike for a grand!
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I know it is uncomfortable as i have borrowed a FS bike and find it so much better.
    I don't want to buy a new FS & sell the hard tail as I will loose too much on the deal, besides that I actually enjoy all things mechanical so like the concept of swapping over all the components.
    I've seen a Boardman FS frame up for sale so might go for that, looks like most components will fit fine although not sure about the fork travel, is it essential that the amount of travel is the same?

thnaks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check out the Titus FS frames from on-one for circa £599-699, Titus used to get great rviews until going bankrupt but allegedly the new on-one owned Titus frames are the same. As a frame only deal they are a great price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Thanks for the replies.
    I know it is uncomfortable as i have borrowed a FS bike and find it so much better.

This makes no sense? What bike, frame, size, set-up was it? i.e seat height & angle, position of brake levers, stem height, bar width etc etc

Just because your hardtail gives you back ache and one full susser you tried doesn't give you back ache that doesn't mean all HT's will and all FS's wont..does it?

Anyway - seems like a bonkers reason to build a bike imo. You could well spend plenty of time and money on it and still get back ache!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks for the Titus frame idea, I hadn't seen them before although I have used on-one in the past, I'll give them a call & check to see how much of the componentry will fit.

It might seem bonkers to you, but not to me! Back ache is not the sole reason that I am doing this, I was just after some helpful ideas on what frame I could consider rather than getting to a discussion over the relative merits of the concept..

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't want to buy a new FS & sell the hard tail as I will loose too much on the deal

i don't think you will - I think you stand to gain! With new full sus bikes going for the same price as their frames, there is little to lose. IE if you got that Anthem, and swapped all the better parts and sold the excess, you would end up having spent very little and have a brand new frame to boot.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Thanks for the Titus frame idea, I hadn't seen them before although I have used on-one in the past, I'll give them a call & check to see how much of the componentry will fit.

It might seem bonkers to you, but not to me! Back ache is not the sole reason that I am doing this, I was just after some helpful ideas on what frame I could consider rather than getting to a discussion over the relative merits of the concept..

Thanks

I see - sorry, from you're original post it seemed like you thought a bouncy bike would solve your back pain problem - was just pointing out that it could be down to bike set-up, bad technique or just plain "the wrong bike" (HT or FS)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8