RideLondon100

oneof1982
oneof1982 Posts: 703
Registration is now open for the ballot on the RideLondon100 here:

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100/ ... Ballot.htm

Comments

• I entered the ballot but also contacted a cancer charity to apply for a guaranteed place. My father is a bowel cancer survivor so Beating Bowel Cancer was my choice of charity.

I'm hugely grateful to them as they have offered me a guaranteed place. There are many other charities that will have places available.

I'm currently 22st so am using this as a drive towards losing weight and getting fit. I ride a heavy Orange Crush mountain bike which I plan to ride through the winter before getting a road bike once I've lost 2-3 stone and raised my fitness levels. Planning to buy a bike in March.

For me this is a huge challenge but one that I am looking forward to. I hope the training and ride will change my life and I'll raise some money for a superb cause. It's going to be a tough 10 months though.

30 miles ridden in the week and 20 planned for today. Loving it already :lol:
  • Up to 230 miles ridden in 3 weeks. I've lost just over a stone and feeling great.

10 months to go but lots of riding to do in that time. :)
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Great job Phil. Keep it up, you'll be racing next time this year. :D

As for this event, hopefully I'll get in. Signed up quite a while back.
  • I signed up into the ballot and have been contacted by a few charities to ride for them if I'm not successful. Do you guys know if there is a minimum fundraising requirement? I've done a lot of fundraising this year so couldn't keep asking friends and family to support...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • Philinmerthyr
    Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
    edited October 2012
    I signed up into the ballot and have been contacted by a few charities to ride for them if I'm not successful. Do you guys know if there is a minimum fundraising requirement? I've done a lot of fundraising this year so couldn't keep asking friends and family to support...

I'm riding for Beating Bowel Cancer. They asked for at least £500. It will be worth it if i continue to be motivated by it.

It's till 10 months away but it's the best thing I've done for years :lol:
  • Some ask for more. I'm going to be riding for Sense and they ask for £550 minimum, but I've seen as much as £1100 minimum (one of the bigger charities, but can't remember who).
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!
  • Got my place confirmed today with Action for Medical Research :D
    £500 minimum sponsorship though :shock:

Anyone know the route? Or what hills are involved?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • It's a modified/shortened version of the Olympic route, so Boxhill is probably a no brainer. If you google London 2012 road cycle race, there is a PDF of what they did, so it should include all the best bits from that.
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!