Ladies' clothing - calling Kate F, BC, GB, et al

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Where do all you ladies go to get your super-stylish, funky cycling gear?

I've discovered that Rapha do a few bits and Anna Nichoola's range is quite nice, if limited.

Thanks

V

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    When's the op?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Depends what you're after. I'm quite a non-girlie girl so no fushia pinks or flowers for me. Tend to go Rapha/Assos/Gore, and Morvelo are doing some decent stuff at the mo. Altura are ok for commuting stuff, but order a size down, as they're rather generous with the tape measure.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Rolf F wrote:
    When's the op?
    Indeed, she might want to do something about the facial hair as well.
  • Minx Girl, though they are quite expensive. They do have sales which is when I go shopping. I also get lots of add on Farcebook.
    Have you checked out Foska, not really trendy but not boring either.
  • My amazing cycle wardrobe consists of 1 pair of Pearson shorts, a Altura jacket, overshoes, gloves and shoes! Ana nichoola looks good, although yet to purchase. Gloves are Specialized. I went into a few shops and found them to have very limited clothing for women, and what they do have is never in your size, so online is a good bet. I've commuted for years in t shirts, leggings / shorts all mainly bought at Nike!! I'm new to proper cycling clothes. :)

Pearson's do have a good range for ladies specific:
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/content/41/Shop/
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • I quite like the Pearl Izumi shorts for commuting and rides to the coast. They come with a removeable padded knicker so you can choose whether you need it or not. Having said that, I've never paid full price for them and probably wouldn't. They're great in sales though.

Other than that I have a Giordana jacket (from one of CycleSurgery's sales) which is what I wore through the winter last year with a base layer under. I was wearing it with jeans one day and was complimented on it being cool... which you can't say often with cyclewear!

Not a big Altura fan - it might just be that I've chosen badly but the few bits I have had haven't done their job particularly well for the money; a 'windproof' top that quite obviously wasn't for example!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Ladies, thank you for the sensible and helpful replies (Minx girl looks particularly promising).

Lads, I'm offended you hadn't already noticed ...

Matt-Lucas-and-David-Wall-001.jpg
  • My fave tops are undoubtedly Rapha - they go in and out in the right places and actually get to look feminine in them. Properly lovely. Definitely worth the money. As others have said, no pink necessity either. Minx has some good stuff - and some great ideas too. Though some of the jerseys can be a bit over-patterned for my liking (I tend to go with block colours rather than mad patterns). I love my gore power waterproof which I got from Minx. Pearl Izumi are ok though they have an odd chinese-collar style neckline. Castelli tops are oddly shaped - tight round the shoulders and only fitted me round the stomach when I was 6 months pregnant.

For shorts, I don't like Rapha, they have silicone grippers (am allergic) and also the shorts are v.long. They come down to my knees which makes my legs look short and stumpy. Gore are comfy (and minimal silicone dots) but Sportful shorts are the best for uber-long rides (if a bit mumsy, coming right up to the belly button).

I was given a pair of Ana Nichola gloves for my birthday. Loved them. Super-cute. Then when they smelt, I washed them. They shrank to a ridiculous child size. So I vote no for Ana based on that experience.

Altura's probably fine for just cycling to work but for further adventures, I think it's worth paying more for Rapha / Gore.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    My fave tops are undoubtedly Rapha - they go in and out in the right places and actually get to look feminine in them. Properly lovely. Definitely worth the money. As others have said, no pink necessity either. Minx has some good stuff - and some great ideas too. Though some of the jerseys can be a bit over-patterned for my liking (I tend to go with block colours rather than mad patterns). I love my gore power waterproof which I got from Minx. Pearl Izumi are ok though they have an odd chinese-collar style neckline. Castelli tops are oddly shaped - tight round the shoulders and only fitted me round the stomach when I was 6 months pregnant.

For shorts, I don't like Rapha, they have silicone grippers (am allergic) and also the shorts are v.long. They come down to my knees which makes my legs look short and stumpy. Gore are comfy (and minimal silicone dots) but Sportful shorts are the best for uber-long rides (if a bit mumsy, coming right up to the belly button).

I was given a pair of Ana Nichola gloves for my birthday. Loved them. Super-cute. Then when they smelt, I washed them. They shrank to a ridiculous child size. So I vote no for Ana based on that experience.

Altura's probably fine for just cycling to work but for further adventures, I think it's worth paying more for Rapha / Gore.

Yeah - the Rapha shorts are pretty long when I think about it, but they are the comfiest shorts I've ever worn.

Another comment about Altura actually - it's not always the best made. I've got two pairs of Night Vision longs which have both come unstitched down the calves. I know I've been doing a lot of riding recently but my calves haven't quite got that Cavendish-ish yet. Thx for the Minx tip - will have a look at those.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    At least Altura's larger sizing means us larger ladies can get into them (size 16 shorts fit me :shock: ).

Unlike every other manufacturer who clearly doesn't want fat people wearing their clothes. I mean god forbid someone fat wants to start cycling and wear the proper clothing.

/rant
  • I have an Altura wind and waterproof mint green jacket, and I'm onto my second (mainly down to all the oil marks from an old MTB I used to ride to work on, and possibly the fact that I put it in the tumble dryer :? ). I think that's very good, does what it says n all. It also helped me choose which colour Brompton I bought - ha. I did get some funny comments! Went for that as the mens replica had 5/5 from user reviews.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I have a mixture of Swrve 3/4 trousers, Pearl Izumi 3/4 padded and liners, lidl padded shorts, merino wool tops and bog-standard running tops. Am slowly moving towards 'stylish' when not commuting but as I get too warm at times merino wool is usually my cycling top of choice. I've just remembered I have a lidl jacket bought years ago and a Reebok running jacket with removable sleeves I use on long or cold rides.

I forgot to add I'm a Rapha gal too. 1 softshell, gilet and bibshorts bought in their womens' sale earlier this year. I don't own any cycling jerseys as yet. Maybe it's time to put that right. My two Altura purchases: 1 fluoro jacket finally binned over the weekend and the rain trousers which hasn't been used much but am loathed to get rid of them. Getting a Montane Featherlite Velo jacket for the rain.

Crikey! How I've changed since I first got on a bike! :lol: :shock: Still need to learn how to ride without half my bedroom though :oops:
  • KateF
    KateF Posts: 86
    If its not club kit, I'd always go for Assos or Castelli shorts/tights and Rapha tops. I've got some other random bits and pieces from random names but those would be my first choice.
    Winter bike - Verenti Kilmeston
    Fair weather bike - Ribble Stealth