Advice - bigger tyres on road bike

allezoops
allezoops Posts: 33
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi there,

I'm doing the Scotland Coast to Coast in a few weeks and originally my intention was to buy myself a nice new cyclocross to do it on but that's not going to happen now.

So I'm wondering, what's the biggest tyre size I'm likely to get on my 2010 Spesh Allez Comp? I'm guessing I might be able to squeeze in a 700 x 28c with a bit of tread like the Marathon Original or similar?

Has anyone managed to fit and use a 700 x 30c? That could open up to options like Michelin Jet

Also, if this is possible to do, am I likely to wreck my carbon forks and seat stays, oh, and am I likely to kill myself even attempting it on a road bike?

Cheers

Allezoops

p.s. feel free to support a good cause as well http://www.justgiving.com/scotlandsbravesttot
2010 Allez Comp & 2011 Langster complete with child seat

Sponsor me please http://www.justgiving.com/scotlandsbravesttot

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Have you got a mountain bike? Scotland in a couple of weeks is gonna be a giant loch. I wouldn't recommend doing it on your road bike!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    Have you got a mountain bike? Scotland in a couple of weeks is gonna be a giant loch. I wouldn't recommend doing it on your road bike!

Unfortunately not Declan, I might have to try and borrow one though...
    2010 Allez Comp & 2011 Langster complete with child seat

Sponsor me please http://www.justgiving.com/scotlandsbravesttot
  • declan1
    allezoops wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Unfortunately not Declan, I might have to try and borrow one though...

That would probably be a good idea. It wouldn't be very nice to hit a rock and snap that carbon fork!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a great race - I've done it both years so far - but taking a break this year.

My blog about year 1 is here : http://leskennedy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... nture.html

I used a cross bike (with CF fork - no worries) - I found it to be the best option - MTBs are too slow on the road and theres much more road than there is off road. I passed dozens of people riding this.

I used marathon tyres on the cross bike - far heavier than road tyres but bulletproof. I think 35mm ? I still took two tubes anyway. I did pass a girl whos a proper adventure racer - she was doing it on a road bike - on slicks. Clearly she figured she'd gain more time on the road than she'd lose off road. She kicked my ass on the run though.

As you can see - when I did it it rained all day. The biking was fine - bit muddy but the track held up well.
    Its the last leg you want to worry about - the yomp !

Had to go back the next year just to see the views - cos I saw bugger all the first year. Must get round to uploading that second report !

Good luck - feel free to ask me any questions if you want.
  • declan1
    cougie wrote:
    Its a great race - I've done it both years so far - but taking a break this year.

My blog about year 1 is here : http://leskennedy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... nture.html

I used a cross bike (with CF fork - no worries) - I found it to be the best option - MTBs are too slow on the road and theres much more road than there is off road. I passed dozens of people riding this.

I used marathon tyres on the cross bike - far heavier than road tyres but bulletproof. I think 35mm ? I still took two tubes anyway. I did pass a girl whos a proper adventure racer - she was doing it on a road bike - on slicks. Clearly she figured she'd gain more time on the road than she'd lose off road. She kicked my ass on the run though.

As you can see - when I did it it rained all day. The biking was fine - bit muddy but the track held up well.
    Its the last leg you want to worry about - the yomp !

Had to go back the next year just to see the views - cos I saw bugger all the first year. Must get round to uploading that second report !

Good luck - feel free to ask me any questions if you want.

Since you've done it the OP should take your advice! I thought it would be an off-road race, but if the majority is on-road then it's probably better taking the road bike :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd say its in the area of 15 miles off road. Most of that being on fire roads or a canal path. There's proper singletrack too - but no more than a couple of miles.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't think you'll get 28s or above on the Allez - 25 max I would think - that's from a 28 tyre sat next to my allez
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    I have an Allez 2010- it looks like it will accept a 28 to be honest