Saint or Zee for beginner

Maddog1979
Maddog1979 Posts: 185
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

After losing my job ... and being unemployed for 8 months i'm now back working and I'm still building my Orange 224 for my first try at downhilling. I need to get a rear mech and shifter . I'm wondering if there is any need shelling out for the 820/810 saint stuff as i'm only just starting out or will the zee stuff be ok?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Given that the Zee stuff is being marketed as Saint for beginners/those with a tight budget, what do you think?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Does anyone know if Shimano plan on releasing short cage SLX or XT rear mechs?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

Why would they? zee is effectively slx for downhillers and comes in a shortcage version for use with a 11-36 cassette and saint has a mode converter to convert between narrow and wide range cassettes. Shimano have it covered with saint and zee, no need for short cage xt or slx
  • ilovedirt
    lawman wrote:

Why would they? zee is effectively slx for downhillers and comes in a shortcage version for use with a 11-36 cassette and saint has a mode converter to convert between narrow and wide range cassettes. Shimano have it covered with saint and zee, no need for short cage xt or slx
    It would be nice if they did, it's not only downhillers that want to run single ring setups. That's the main reason I run SRAM over shimano, because up til now, if you wanted a short cage Shimano mech, you had to pay £120 for it, and I'd probably break it anyway. I'd definitely break a long cage.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    Because Zee only comes in 10sp. And I 'cos a DH specific rear mech - even a budget one with a stupid name is a waste of money imo

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Maddog1979 wrote:
    Hi guys,

After losing my job ... and being unemployed for 8 months i'm now back working and I'm still building my Orange 224 for my first try at downhilling. I need to get a rear mech and shifter . I'm wondering if there is any need shelling out for the 820/810 saint stuff as i'm only just starting out or will the zee stuff be ok?
    No need for either, just use SLX or XT.
  • felix.london
    Maddog1979 wrote:
    Hi guys,

My thoughts exactly...hence the question re short cage versions of those mechs

I have a short cage X9 mech on the DH bike but I'd like to ditch it for Shimano at some point but wont spend over £100 on a mech and shifter that let's be honest doesn't really get used that much when riding downhill. You can get an SLX mech & shifter for half that price..but no short cage!

And while we're on the subject - I'll be putting SLX brakes on the DH bike too because those on a pair of 203mm rotors will be an awesome DH brake for £120 odd rather than £250 for a set of Zee brakes!

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    Maddog1979 wrote:
    Hi guys,

My thoughts exactly...hence the question re short cage versions of those mechs

I have a short cage X9 mech on the DH bike but I'd like to ditch it for Shimano at some point but wont spend over £100 on a mech and shifter that let's be honest doesn't really get used that much when riding downhill. You can get an SLX mech & shifter for half that price..but no short cage!

And while we're on the subject - I'll be putting SLX brakes on the DH bike too because those on a pair of 203mm rotors will be an awesome DH brake for £120 odd rather than £250 for a set of Zee brakes!

A quick look on bike-discount.de shows that slx shifter and shadow plus mech works out exactly the same as the same zee with a short cage, it comes to about 80/85 euros, the zee shifter is actually cheaper than slx... XT and slx aren't designed as 1x groups, which is why there is no short cage mech for those ranges, so what is the problem with using zee if the prices are similar?
  • felix.london
    Must admit didn't look on Bike-Discount just on Rose who don't seem to have any Zee kit.

Prices look good. The Zee mech is the same price as a (medium cage) XT without the clutch. and like you say the shifter is peanuts!

Good find.

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You could also use a cheap road mech - plenty of DHers used to do that in the BS days (Before Saint).
    I learnt the other day that a 10 speed road mech will work with a standard 9-speed MTB setup.
  • ilovedirt
    Just as a comparison - I trashed a long cage X7 mech in a few weeks on my downhill bike, I trashed a med cage X9 mech in a similarly short amount of time (less if anything, though i'm still persevering with it, despite the cage being bent to hell), and my short cage X7 has lasted longer than anything else. I'll not be trusting long cage mechs by shimano or sram. What's the point in having a long cage mech when you can have short and drastically improve the life of it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The life may just be coincidence. The real question is, why have long cage when you don't need the range.
  • lawman
    The real question is why have sram when it just falls apart?
  • felix.london
    :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    lawman wrote:
    The real question is why have sram when it just falls apart?

Cheap SRAM is very poor compared to Shimano. I would take Shimano SLX over SRAM X7 or X9 though I am liking my SRAM X0 DH rear mech, not as slick as Saint but it works well, even when plastered in mud and doesn't seem to need tuning as often as Shimano stuff. But I will replace it with Saint when it dies.
  • ilovedirt
    The life may just be coincidence. The real question is, why have long cage when you don't need the range.
    Because it was cheap at the time. False economy really.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    By the real question, I meant as opposed to this...
    What's the point in having a long cage mech when you can have short and drastically improve the life of it.
  • IMO, if you can afford saint (and afford to buy another if you trash it) buy saint.

If you can't, buy Zee.

If you can't really afford to replace either, get a deore medium cage so you can replace if/when needed.
  • ilovedirt
    By the real question, I meant as opposed to this...
    What's the point in having a long cage mech when you can have short and drastically improve the life of it.
    Well it's the same question really isn't it?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You've lost me. Can you explain that?
  • ilovedirt
    You know exactly what I meant...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, I don't. If I did, I wouldn't have asked.
  • ilovedirt
    The only reason I would have a long cage is if I had a triple crankset. I don't, therefore it's not necessary, and it'll save me trouble with broken mechs if I stay short cage.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't follow - long cages aren't necessarily more fragile - that's not the reason to avoid them.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, but it's closer to the ground and is bigger.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Fair enough - but they're still not overly prone to being damaged - otherwise trail riders would be forever ripping their mechs off.
  • ilovedirt
    Like Chunkers said, more cage to get caught by sticks, rocks etc. A lot of the local built trails where i ride have lots of sticks/rocks etc trackside which I've ruined a couple of mechs on. The shorter the better. That and I'm quite a heavy handed rider.

If there was no benefit of short cage over long, (and lets be honest, they don't shift that much quicker), why would anyone run them?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    If there was no benefit of short cage over long, (and lets be honest, they don't shift that much quicker), why would anyone run them?
    There are benefits to short cage - I'm just saying that damage limitation is a very very minor one.
  • ilovedirt
    Maybe. But that one time that a stick does get tangled up in your mech just by chance because maybe the cage was a little longer than it needed to be, well it's an expensive (and annoying) mistake.

Just saying that's my experience with them thus far.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5