Newbie Tyre Question

Tangoringo
Tangoringo Posts: 35
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Im brand new to road biking having just 'come across' from sedate mountain biking so apologies if this is a daft question..so be gentle!

Are there any tyres which can offer a more bullet proof answer to the old puncture problem. Are there any practical suggestions for a good all round but titanium lined tyre or am I searching for the impossible?

Along similar lines are there any good winter training/wet weather tyres?

Thx in advance

Ian

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Schwalbe durano - used all year round
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Secteur wrote:
    Schwalbe durano - used all year round

+1. Durano S in my case but you can go standard Durano or Durano Plus depending on how cowardly you are :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Durano or Continental Gatorskin, but honestly if you ride over thorns from hedge trimming or flint washed across the road, you've got no chance.

1. Check your tire pressures every time you ride, they should be about 100 to 115 psi depending on your weight. Under inflated tires are a major cause of pinch flats? See here for details.

2. Carry a spare inner tube, tire levers and either a pump or CO2 inflator and practice changing the tube. You should be able to change a tube in 5 to 10 minutes and finish your ride.
  • dcomp
    dcomp Posts: 43
    Ian, I am in almost the same boat ( except im a completely new cyclist) and have had 2 punctures in my first three rides. This mornings happened just as I got into my stride with a slight wind behind me doing close on 30.....and 5 miles from home. This one blew in 3 places and i decided to call for backup rather than fix it road-side.

Anyway, I had planned on doing it anyway today but it justified my decision to remove the paper tyres that came with the bike and put on something decent: I opted for Gatorskins. Sadly, I had to buy them from Halfords as its the only bike shop near me so I ended up spending more on rubber today than I have since my late teens!

If you have time, get them online. It's a daunting choice but listen to the guys on the forums: you'll see Durano and Gatorskin come up almost every time and make sure you've got a spare tube and repair kit in your bag along with a co2 or mini pump and definitely check the psi each time you go out....I've learned the hard way....but I have at least learned!

Enjoy!

Dom
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    depending on your weight.

Carry a spare inner tube.

What you saying? ...... you think I is fat or sum fink!!!

Seriously though a big thank you. That is just what I was after. Thanks to all for the advice and also to dcomp ref the rubber. I nearly sprayed coffee all over my pc with that one...know what you mean though!!! :lol:
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    I swear by the marathon plus tyres. Absolute bomb proof. Only problem with that is, if you ever, get a puncture with this tyre the hardest part is actually taking the tyre off to get to your inner tube. Nt sure what the other tyres are like that have been mentioned but the marathon plus tyre is a b1tch to take off but as I've said it's bombproof.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Durano or Continental Gatorskin, but honestly if you ride over thorns from hedge trimming or flint washed across the road, you've got no chance.

1. Check your tire pressures every time you ride, they should be about 100 to 115 psi depending on your weight. Under inflated tires are a major cause of pinch flats? See here for details.

2. Carry a spare inner tube, tire levers and either a pump or CO2 inflator and practice changing the tube. You should be able to change a tube in 5 to 10 minutes and finish your ride.

I can't ever imagine changing a tube that quickly :D

Also a newbie here. In addition to a spare tube, I now carry a small tube of glue and a few patches after I got 2 punctures on one ride - I believe I left a piece of flint in the tyre from the first puncture :? This was my first puncture ever, even though years ago I used to commute regularly and mountain bike.