Bike Shops

dcomp
dcomp Posts: 43
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi all,

Third ride, 2nd puncture and I'm irritated! This morning's damage was irreparable at the roadside and I didn't have new tube. Anyway, my bad for the no tube thing but I need to get proper tyres.

I live in Hastings in the South East and need to know of a good bike shop within about 30 miles of me.

Any suggestions?

D

Comments

• I cant help you find a shop but I was wondering if you had your tyres correctly inflated. Under-inflated tyres are a major cause of punctures and even if you get better tyres your problem might not go away unless they are at the correct pressure.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I live near Hastings myself and I must say the pickings down here are mighty slim. There is a shop in Eastbourne whose name escapes me, and Wildside in Tunbridge Wells. There is another in Polegate as I recall although I've never been in it. Otherwise you're kind of stuck with Halfords in Glynde Gap.

I ride a lot on the roads here - in Hastings and St Leonards, as well as the surrounding countryside - and have not had any bad luck with punctures. I know the roads have become much more potholed lately, but even so you do seem to be having a rough time. Are you sure the tyres are properly seated and inflated? And what kind of tyres have you been using?
  • dcomp
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I cants be certain what the tyre pressures were when I got the bike on Tuesday this week but I'll be making absolutely certain they are right from now on. I've just been and bought a decent track pump so I can do them each time I go out.

Interestingly, when I fixed the back and replaced the tyre (with a Gatorskin), I thought I'd check the front...the PSI in that was at 60: way too low. I know you can expect a bit of deflation in high pressure tyres but that's almost half what it should have been....I'll be having a chat with Marin (where I got it) on Monday: it does point to it not being correctly set up in the first place.

Anyway, one manufacturer tyre replaced with the Gatorskin (Halfords, the only shop down here, only had one left) so I've put that on the back and have just ordered the one for the front.

Hoopdriver, both punctures on both rides happened on the cycle path on the seafront, just near Azur. I know someone at the council so will mention it...the simple answer is to avoid that spot but it really needs fixing.

I'm new to this whole cycling thing but I'm loving it so far....just need to get some power in my legs so I can manage hills which, unlike bike shops, are not scarce round here!!!

Tempted to open a shop in the future, it's madness that there's nothing other that Halfords!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    if its not too far
    http://www.cycle-ops.co.uk/
    an alladins cave for cycle stuff
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    dcomp wrote:

I cants be certain what the tyre pressures were when I got the bike on Tuesday this week but I'll be making absolutely certain they are right from now on. I've just been and bought a decent track pump so I can do them each time I go out.

Interestingly, when I fixed the back and replaced the tyre (with a Gatorskin), I thought I'd check the front...the PSI in that was at 60: way too low. I know you can expect a bit of deflation in high pressure tyres but that's almost half what it should have been....I'll be having a chat with Marin (where I got it) on Monday: it does point to it not being correctly set up in the first place.

Anyway, one manufacturer tyre replaced with the Gatorskin (Halfords, the only shop down here, only had one left) so I've put that on the back and have just ordered the one for the front.

Hoopdriver, both punctures on both rides happened on the cycle path on the seafront, just near Azur. I know someone at the council so will mention it...the simple answer is to avoid that spot but it really needs fixing.

I'm new to this whole cycling thing but I'm loving it so far....just need to get some power in my legs so I can manage hills which, unlike bike shops, are not scarce round here!!!

Tempted to open a shop in the future, it's madness that there's nothing other that Halfords!
    I know the spot by Azur. Was it shards of glass by an chance?

If you're interested i write a photo-rich cycling blog which obviosly features a lot o scenes and settings that will be familar to you.
  • dcomp
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    if its not too far
    http://www.cycle-ops.co.uk/
    an alladins cave for cycle stuff

Thank you! I'll go and check it out!
  • dcomp
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    dcomp wrote:

I know the spot by Azur. Was it shards of glass by an chance?

If you're interested i write a photo-rich cycling blog which obviosly features a lot o scenes and settings that will be familar to you.

I've already book-marked your blog! I would say I'll keep an eye out for you but 4.30 is too early for me! Bexhill seafront photographs beautifully, doesn't it? And what a collection of bikes too!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You'll get good tyres cheaper on line, you LBS won't be able to compete on prices you get on the Internet.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.