Which bike to buy... advice please

NobleSX
NobleSX Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I've been doing some research on my first new MTB in a long time (10+ years).
I've managed to shortlist to the following bikes (some of which I am unable to test ride):

Cannondale SL 29er
Cannondale SL1
Trek Cobia (2013)
Specialized Carve Comp 29er
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29
Lapierre Pro Race 100 (2012)
Specialized Sirrus Elite

I'm 5' 10" weighing under 170 lbs. I'm getting back into riding from a long break.
Primary uses are (in order): road riding & designated cycling paths (although I do also love to jump down small stairways and hop kerbs - taking urban shortcuts - when given the chance), fitness, and some of the easier less technical track trails around Wales every few weekends.
I will probably not want to upgrade much (if anything). A low weight and comfort are higher priorites due to road and fitness uses (plus there's lots of steep hills where I am!). Needing something competent in all areas.

If it's not easy and comfortable to ride I'll probably find excuses not to ride it. SOme bikes on my list cannot be tested due to local availability.

I've been recommended 29ers by the LBSs.

Does anyone have any opinions on these bikes?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What's your budget?

The Sirrius is a hybrid - rigid forks, road oriented primarily, wont be any good for anything other than the most gentle of off road riding and definitely wont enjoy too many drops/stairs.

29er sounds like it would suit the riding you want but they aren't urban riot machines, the Specialized bikes will no doubt be accused of being bad value for money by someone soon (which they probably are) but they are decent bikes in terms of frame and geometry. I dont know the 'Dale, Trek or Lap.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • NobleSX
    NobleSX Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response.
    Yes I think you're right about the Sirrus. I was drawn to it's light weight and nice feel on the wrists but I think I'd end up breaking it all too soon if I bought it...

The reason there are 3 Specialized on my list is because there is a well stocked Specialized LBS nearby and I've had the chance to look closely at them (but yet to ride on the street). They do look nice.

I was impressed with my first look at the Lap at a different LBS and it felt lighter than most and the grips and 'feel' were rather good. The problem is, it's a 26".

The Cannondales I've not seen in the flesh.

Budget is £900 max, although the cheaper the better. I've seen all bikes on my list for under £900 brand new either online or at LBS.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Why is being a 26" a problem? You said it felt good?!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For an Urban fun machine a 26er would suite you better.

Won't a heavier bike will get you fitter quicker?

For the Urban stuff a Voodoo Hoodoo would be great, less good on open roads though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.