456 carbon build no.58765483

leythervegas
leythervegas Posts: 191
edited September 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Received my frame today. Very very happy with it. Need any advice/experiences with building up this frame please. Already put my ritchey wcs post on and onone ultralight cnc stem, other parts will be from superstar mostly in lime green. Got the forks (recon gold tk's) at a bargain price off a mate for £100. They are as good as new, couldn't turn that down! Considering 2x10 or 1x9 setup as I've already got some of the parts for these. Using the bike for mostly xc rides with the odd trail centre day. If I get carbon bars would that be too, erm carbony? Or do I need a bit of alloy going on to firm it up a bit?

[url]c0dbc4d6097acacd62709d109bd691d1.jpg[/url]

Comments

• chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Good choice. You won't be disappointed. I have carbon bars on mine, but a metal seatpost and can't say i find either a problem. Only issues I had when building mine was the back disc brake mount only allowed a 160mm disc in (as I had the mounts that go inbetween the stays rather than on top of the seatstay and my avid juicy ultimates have a bit on the back of the caliper which fouled the frame). The only other issue i have is that my front mech had a low band on it which ended up at the very base of the seat tube where it got wider as it flared into the bottom bracket/downtube join area. I am running an FSA comet double chainset and the large chainring is very, very worryingly close to the chainstay with I think, the correct single spacer on the driveside bottom bracket cup. Other than that I absolutely love mine, and think you will yours! Enjoy the build and look forward to riding it.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    And so it begins (again)
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Nice one Chris, I've got a spare fsa comet chain set ready to go on but i'm thinking of trying my old 1x9 setup for a while to see if I can cope. I need to keep the cost to a minimum so dont really want to be having to buy rear mechs etc if I dont need them.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    shimano do a deore level 9spd 12-36t cassette which will help on the climbs if you stay with a 1x9 set up and they are on offer at crc at the moment
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31059.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Cheers pastey, that's a great deal. Was thinking of taking the cassetteand chain off my scandal though to save money. Going to maybe do the scandal as a singlespeed depending on cost so on the lookout for very cheap wheel set for that.
  • Well shes finished. I'm hoping this will be a good all rounder for me as i use it mostly for xc rides and occasional trail centre blasts. I'm trying it as a 1x9 for the time being to see if i manage, I can always add another ring and shifter later.

Think Ive got a decent mid range spec and got it down to a pretty light 25 and a bit lb.

Spec -

- X9 rear mech
    - X7 shifter
    - Oneone MAX wheelset
    - Ritchey wcs seatpost
    - Onone bignose saddle
    - Continental X king 2.4 tyres
    - Rockshox Recon TK Gold 120 forks
    - Avid Juicy 3 Brakes
    - Lizard skins Peaty lock-on grips
    - Easton Vice 710mm Bars
    - Race Face 36t front ring
    - Onone smoothie mixer headset
    - Nukeproof Electron pedals

80E0C377-B711-4B98-9237-B12D6FEF2A20-15421-000009F0C564905B.jpg
  • looks good matey, im really really tempted to build one of these up as a general xc & winter bike.

just the costs that are putting me off. apart from the forks you got cheap off a mate did you buy everything else brand fire new or did you wait to the decent bargains to come up on ebay etc.??
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • cheers sanchez. it was almost all parts i already had. the only bits that are brand new are the x9 rear mech which was around £55 and bars for around £30. the brakes i got 2nd hand for around £50. my biggest bargain has to be the frame though for £299.