Brian smith

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Listening to the American race on Eurosport 2. This Scottish guy is an apologist and ill informed. Worse he has a Whiney voice.

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Listening to the American race on Eurosport 2. This Scottish guy is an apologist and ill informed. Worse he has a Whiney voice.

He's just said that he's "Not For" what armstrong did and he brought it into "Disrepute" so what else do you want him to do ??? oh by the way am Scottish as well - would like you to tell me to my face if i had a whiney voice as well ??
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I like brian, hes well informed and is the expert voice to carlton's- hmm yes and why not?
    Plus he has posted on here before now :D

OH wait ,did you say hes scottish...

:mrgreen:
    Gazetta -stop whining for gods sake :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Gazzetta67
    mattshrops wrote:
    I like brian, hes well informed and is the expert voice to carlton's- hmm yes and why not?
    Plus he has posted on here before now :D

OH wait ,did you say hes scottish...

:mrgreen:
    Gazetta -stop whining for gods sake :lol:

I was being Sarcastic...Was just going along with old stereotype "you talkin to me pal"
  • Heard it and very disappointed.
    The USADA don't have jurisdiction, but the duplicitous UCI does?
    A lot of talk about clean cycling nowadays, (Kirby)
    but in order to make this a sustainable reality,
    the head of the doping serpent must be cut off.

Otherwise, cycling's most successful drug cheat
    remains cycling's biggest commercial success story.

Anyhow, I'm sure he'll be around at some stage to clarifying his pov.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Most nations have people from areas who's accent can be described as 'Whiney' most of these areas have names ending in 'shire'!! ;-)
  • Gazzetta67
    d4evr wrote:
    Most nations have people from areas who's accent can be described as 'Whiney' most of these areas have names ending in 'shire'!! ;-)

God the Cheucters fae dundee are on they are proper whiney 8)
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

God the Cheucters fae dundee are on they are proper whiney 8)

Touche! :)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Disapointed in Brian, by the way to the OP - Brian is a regular(ish) poster on here, not nice to call him out like that but agree his position is not favourable.

Carlton Kirby useless, answered me on telly though :D
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm... Glaswegian's don't really have a 'shire but can whine with the best of them.

Off to practice my whiney accent just in case I get asked to do some cycling commentary. Wouldn't sound any better for Pharmstrong though :wink:

Quick edit as I didn't realise that Brian had said some words that seemed to agree with UCI/Armstrong position. Not my take at all
  • Gazzetta67
    Disapointed in Brian, by the way to the OP - Brian is a regular(ish) poster on here, not nice to call him out like that but agree his position is not favourable.

LL as i said above he did say he was "Not for" what Armstrong did and he brought cycling into disrepute (Ive just Sky+ it back).....to be fair he probably uncomfortable as he was part of the whole Jim OKO, Motorola set up so he's prob seen a few things as he only lasted 1 year there if am correct....Kelly sat on the fence today i thought....nah no thought abought it....he always says "we will have to wait and see" Aaaaargh.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Don't they have to worry about a load of legal stuff as well? So maybe not the best idea to come out strongly either way.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Thought that Roger Hammond was a bit unwilling to criticise his old Discovery team and their practices. I guess a lot of them are still wary of how far Lance can still reach especially with UCI backing.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

LL as i said above he did say he was "Not for" what Armstrong did and he brought cycling into disrepute (Ive just Sky+ it back).....to be fair he probably uncomfortable as he was part of the whole Jim OKO, Motorola set up so he's prob seen a few things as he only lasted 1 year there if am correct....Kelly sat on the fence today i thought....nah no thought abought it....he always says "we will have to wait and see" Aaaaargh.

Dont get me wrong, im certainly not going to hate on Brian, he's in a difficult position and commentators are usually told to remain impartial anyway - I have a lot of time for Brian, he has helped me alot personally with the blog and always has time for me when I need a question answering - just frustration hearing hardley anybody 'in cycling' say anything remotely anti-lance.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone who commentates on eurosport or cycling in general and then comes and posts on here, is rather brave considering some of the bile that gets written on here about certain commentators. (although most of it is probably fair in the case of ligget!!!)

I'd echo LL's disappointment about the lack of anti-lance comments from within cycling. However, much of the time it's pretty understandable. If I put myself in the position of an ex-champion, I'm probably thinking, there but for the grace of God. Not that I'm saying all ex-champions are dopers but, well cycling has a history. Lance merely had the misfortune of being the last great champion before the sport really started taking anti-doping seriously.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    Thanks for comments....good and bad (in a whiney voice) :D

My comments have been on SSN all day. If you heard them you will realise i'm not in any way defending LA. We have some of the best cyclists in the World in the UK at the moment and i would like to talk more about them than the murky past. How far back do we go.....How long will cycling be dragged into the gutter....we need to inspire our youth and look to the clean future.....
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I thought Brian was pretty fair, stating a few times he was 'anti lance doping'. He does have to be careful as he can be seen to be representing eurosport.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Gazzetta67
    Least you have come on here and can answer or take the flak unlike some folk....I was thinking today how sad it is that it's ONLY cycling and the Cycling commentators who ONLY have to confront this drugs issue...after the highs of the last 6 weeks for britain...this comes out and you have to try and defend your sport from these ignorant tossers at work who ONLY see the words doping and drugs.....PS unless i'm not mistaken EPO was first seen in italian football.....how many "Positives" have their been in world football since ????? ZERO !!!! or not many. :roll:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I heard the commentary and thought it was fine.
    My view is also that Lance would want to win at every think he sets his mind to so seems rathe rodd he has given
    up the fight at this late stage.
    I dont think the book is closed on this either as yet but I also would prefer to promote and talk of the better side of cycling emerging, especially in the UK.
  • Firstly your comment, pretty much racist, tries to depict a Scotsman giving an opinion in a 'whiney voice'. Why should it matter that he is Scottish? Why mention a whiney voice? Is that all your argument extends to? You are pathetic, little more than a child. There is soooooo much more than can be said without resorting to the typical cheap, childish English xenophobic comments that the world is used too. Oh and 'ooohhh stop whining cause your Scottish'. You need to grow up a bit if you want to join the big boys discussions. We do use words of more than one syllable and we do have a point to make that isn't xenophobic or childish.
    I would agree he is wrong in everything he says, well informed or not, but that he is Scottish should have no bearing on anything. I am sure if he had been a Yank you would never have mentioned it. Well done in deflecting a really important point from what matters to nothing more than a racist slur.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

He's just said that he's "Not For" what armstrong did and he brought it into "Disrepute" so what else do you want him to do ??? oh by the way am Scottish as well - would like you to tell me to my face if i had a whiney voice as well ??

no way wee man you seem like a fighter Im sure youre hard as nails. :roll:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Firstly your comment, pretty much racist, tries to depict a Scotsman giving an opinion in a 'whiney voice'. Why should it matter that he is Scottish? Why mention a whiney voice? Is that all your argument extends to? You are pathetic, little more than a child. There is soooooo much more than can be said without resorting to the typical cheap, childish English xenophobic comments that the world is used too. Oh and 'ooohhh stop whining cause your Scottish'. You need to grow up a bit if you want to join the big boys discussions. We do use words of more than one syllable and we do have a point to make that isn't xenophobic or childish.
    I would agree he is wrong in everything he says, well informed or not, but that he is Scottish should have no bearing on anything. I am sure if he had been a Yank you would never have mentioned it. Well done in deflecting a really important point from what matters to nothing more than a racist slur.

Racist slur? How dare you assume Im English and attribute English Xenophobic comments to me. bed wetter
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    IanLD wrote:
    Thought that Roger Hammond was a bit unwilling to criticise his old Discovery team and their practices. I guess a lot of them are still wary of how far Lance can still reach especially with UCI backing.

Brian is a former teammate of LA too. I guess most of us would be circumspect in the circumstances.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I've really enjoyed Hammond's punditry in this Vuelta, very well informed and good to listen to. But I was a bit disappointed with his reaction on the LA story. He seemed uncomfortable when Imlach made reference to his Disco days*

*I'm probably reading too much into this.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Vino'sGhost
    More positively after i made my initial post, his position seemed to swing a little. For the record I'm growing to like his commentary as he gets more experienced and confident; much like (dare i say this) the irishman, though i thought he was first rate from the very beginning.

Ave Calves
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    BrianS wrote:
    Thanks for comments....good and bad (in a whiney voice) :D

My comments have been on SSN all day. If you heard them you will realise i'm not in any way defending LA. We have some of the best cyclists in the World in the UK at the moment and i would like to talk more about them than the murky past. How far back do we go.....How long will cycling be dragged into the gutter....we need to inspire our youth and look to the clean future.....

Two issues. Firstly I have recently thought that your (Brian's) comments on races are preceptive, and extremely accurate (rider identification, calling the moves etc.) and would tout you (him) as becoming the best around. (Though how you manage to get to Spain so quickly from the US will forever remain a mistery to me. :lol: )

Secondly, and a big however, I was struck yesterday by the collective lack of strong condemnation from various (tv) commentators from within cycling on what we are hearing. Yes of course we want to look to the future, but the mainstream sports media (see e.g. this morning's Guardian "Cycling in Tatters") are not distinguishing between the Lance stuff and the current crop of UK riders. They are talking about CYCLING. Sean Kelly was woeful yesterday (unfortunately not suprisingly)and Roger Hammond likewise was worthy of an Arsene Wenger award - "I didn't see anything".

Whilst Sky and David Bralsiford etc. have shown the Cycling workd great leadership, others, including tv commentators have a role to play in digging the sport out of yet another hole. If this means some fo them 'fessing up and breaking the omerta it needs to be done. (And I'm not implying that those named above have something specific to stay, but some of you must know something.)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I would love to hear them all do a full-on piece about what they really think, a real no holds barred.
    But in defence of Brian, Sean and all the others, it's pretty easy to come on a forum like this, almost totally anonymous, and slate every Ricardo, Alberto and Lance. But if it's your job, your livelihood, and you answer to bosses and lawyers and who knows what else, it's a different matter.
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    I too am very disappointed in the omerta from the pro peleton and commentariat.

However if I was Brian , Roger or any of the others I'd keep schtum too, look at Paul Kimmage (currently unemployed) and being sued by the UCI and you can understand why.

The problem is that until there is a reckoning and folks 'fess up' then cycling will remain a 'dirty' sport even if there is not a single rider who dopes, the perception will be there. And the sponsors will continue to disinvest, the public turn off and encourage their kids into 'clean' sports like tennis, football or athletics....(all of which have significant doping problems but are percieved as clean).

And the UCI has demonstrated how absolutely irredeemable it is in its current form.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/larsson ... 0&ns_fee=0

Just seen this...Chapeaux to Larsson
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Ha - for what it's worth I usually find scottish accents pretty annoying but I don't mind Brian Smith's at all

decent commentator
  • dougzz wrote:
    I would love to hear them all do a full-on piece about what they really think, a real no holds barred.
    But in defence of Brian, Sean and all the others, it's pretty easy to come on a forum like this, almost totally anonymous, and slate every Ricardo, Alberto and Lance. But if it's your job, your livelihood, and you answer to bosses and lawyers and who knows what else, it's a different matter.

Got to agree with this a little. Lawyers have a huge part in constraints around what people say verbally or indeed write in the service of their employers. Having said that, almost all current pro riders are saying nowt right now, apart from a beaut from Hayden Roulston on his website which just leaves you shaking your head. From the ones I follow, until this morning the only current rider who's come out wth an outright condemnation is Rapha Condor Sharp's Tim Kennaugh on his Twitter feed: 'Anyone who believes that Lance didnt dope is an idiot'.

But look, from Gustav Larsson on Cyclingnews published just now
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/larsson ... g-decision

Bloody good for him - maybe more will speak out now.

And much as I like some of his commentary, anyone who expects Sean Kelly to be condemning dopers...come on, think about it....

As for P&P, well we all know they're so tightly linked in with Lance that its conflict of interest anyway. Lance's investment in Sherwan's African mine, anyone?