Watching Tour of Britain at Cannock

awallace
awallace Posts: 191
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Hi all,

Does anyone know what time i need to be in place before the road closures, and what do people do about parking? Park well away and ride in? How much movement on the course is allowed before the riders come through?

Many thanks

alec

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    awallace wrote:
    Hi all,

Does anyone know what time i need to be in place before the road closures, and what do people do about parking? Park well away and ride in? How much movement on the course is allowed before the riders come through?

Many thanks

alec
    usually a rolling road closure, using NEG, should be ok until 10 mins before. It's not olympic stylee, minimal disruption.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Check the Tour of Britain website, this will give you rough times for the stages and as mentioned the race is run on a rolling road not closure.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Will be coming across the Chase (towards Rugeley) between 1100 and 1130 on the 13th. Hope to be there myself, budget meeting permitting.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I'm probably going to be trying to make my way over to the Chase to have a quick watch.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Was at the start last year but i fancy a trip to the chase this time. will try to make it.Orright.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • The ToB website is very detailed. They can seemingly predict when the riders will be there to the last minute.
    I did toy with the idea of staying with the folks in Stafford and riding up to see it, but have settled for a trip to Guildford to see the end.
    According to the C+ supplement, if you cycle to the Chase there's cake! Bostin.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    According to the C+ supplement, if you cycle to the Chase there's cake! Bostin.
    Didn't get that. Tell me more!
  • awallace
    Cheers all. Got the full details now. Im in Birmingham so will allow an hour, get there for 1030/45, park up and ride in i think! Crazy what well do for a few seconds cycling?!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've volunteered to help out at KOM 1 and they want volunteers there from 10:30 to 12:30. I've plotted the stage and marked the KOM and Sprint points as accurately as I can from the information sent to volunteers.

See http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1585216
  • mattshrops
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I've volunteered to help out at KOM 1 and they want volunteers there from 10:30 to 12:30. I've plotted the stage and marked the KOM and Sprint points as accurately as I can from the information sent to volunteers.

Cheers for that.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Gizmodo wrote:

Thank you, appreciate that.

I think this will be worthy of a day off work. Where will be the best viewpoint on the Chase, Rugeley end, as I will cycle up from West Bromwich.

CR
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I would suggest the top of the climb out of Brocton. I would imagine that any breakaways and the peloton will be flying along Penkridge Bank Road into Rugeley after that.
  • Gizmodo
    KOM 1 at 21 miles. It's not a public road as such, it's an access road through the Chase, plenty of car parks, grass verges to stand on. http://app.strava.com/segments/1021710

Or at 25.5 miles it goes past a road called Birches Valley, there is mountain bike centre including a cafe 30 yards down that road. Get coffee whilst you're waiting. Come on a mountain bike and you can do Follow the Dog afterwards.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I agree with RonB - they'll be flying after the evil little climb, as it's pretty much down hill until after Bower Lane (although the bit along to the German Cemetery is draggy at parts). All you'll see is a flash of colour!

For complete details of the route here's the Race Handbook.

http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_pdf/20 ... l_2012.pdf
  • awallace
    Gizmodo wrote:
    KOM 1 at 21 miles. It's not a public road as such, it's an access road through the Chase, plenty of car parks, grass verges to stand on. http://app.strava.com/segments/1021710

Or at 25.5 miles it goes past a road called Birches Valley, there is mountain bike centre including a cafe 30 yards down that road. Get coffee whilst you're waiting. Come on a mountain bike and you can do Follow the Dog afterwards.

Cheers for the info, Im definitely going to get on the road out of Brocton if i can.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Well I shall be coming on my roadie so follow the dog is out of the question, but I know the cafe. I might make an early start and make a day of it and my mom's is on route so I have to call in it's the law.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Right on my doorstep and going through some of my riding route and i have jury service :roll:
  • mattshrops
    colsoop wrote:
    Right on my doorstep and going through some of my riding route and i have jury service :roll:

Get yourself arrested this week and they wont let you do it.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I should be there on Brocton Hill with my two Boxers if anyone wants a chat?
  • Gizmodo
    The Skoda ad on the back page of the TOB supplement with this month's C+ says that Skoda will be serving free coffee and cake at Cannock Chase, presumably at their KOM area.