specialized hardrock

Brisk
Brisk Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi i've just ordered a specialized hardrock sport disc '12 from edinburgh cycles for £350 (pick it up next friday) and was just wondering what people thought of the spec for this price? as i know absolutely nothing about bikes. Just saw hydraulic disks and plenty of gears. I will mainly be using it for going to work and back on the roads but hopefully be able to do a little offroad cycling once a week if i have time.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well to be honest, it isn't that good for the money. It will cope with minor trails and will be fine for riding short distances on the road, but there are better out there. But if it fits and you like it, then all is well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not too bad for the price. Fork isn't much good, but will be fine on road, and if you enjoy off road it can be upgraded reasonably cheaply.

Always a good idea to ask before you buy though.

And welcome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Not too bad for the price. Fork isn't much good, but will be fine on road, and if you enjoy off road it can be upgraded reasonably cheaply.

Always a good idea to ask before you buy though.

And welcome.
    this. for £350 its not bad, just enjoy it
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Brisk
    i originally wanted the carrera kraken, how does this compare to the hardrock? I just love the look of it to be honest.
    Also about the forks on the hardrock not being up to much, i've had a look on ebay and there are some rock shox recon 351 forks second hand really cheap. They any good? Or should second hand forks be kept away from?
    I apologise now if i get annoying over the next week or so with questions. Never bought a bike before and want to end up with the right one
  • andy-64
    andy-64 Posts: 51
    If you like it that's all that counts, I got the Revolution Triad 1.0 from Edinburgh Cycles a lot better spec than the big branded bikes which you pay over the odds for with crap spec unless your buying there top of the range bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken would have been the better buy......

RS Reckons are a lot better than you have right now, do you know how to fit them yourself, have you mad sure they will fit (Steerer length and diameter) what travel are they?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Brisk
    I hadn't even thought about steerer length or diameter being an issue, think i'l just leave any upgrades till i know what i'm doing.

Don't think i'l go for the hardrock anymore, carrrera kraken is where my heart is so will go and try it out on monday.

Came across a voodoo bantu when looking at the kraken, any thoughts on what that's like?

Cheers for any advice
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At £350 it's not bad. I paid around £100 more for my 2010 model a couple years back. It's a good frame which is worth upgrading.