Fox flux lid..

mb london
mb london Posts: 96
edited August 2012 in MTB general
About to press the button on one of these, reviews appear to fairly unamanous. I have pretty large nut so guess L-XL will do. Any feedback from owners would be good to hear before I hand over £70 of my children's trust fund :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you tried one on?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I generally have a large, but ended up getting a medium one of these. Go to a LBS and actually try one on, helmets are one of those things that (after learning the hard way) I will always buy in a shop now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    My feedback - its great. Other feedback - buy one on CRC - dirt cheap right now.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    benpinnick wrote:
    My feedback - its great. Other feedback - buy one on CRC - dirt cheap right now.
    I wouldn't, no point buying helmets online.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Fox helmets dont fit my head - at all. If this is the case for you then its 70 quid wasted as helmets are non returnable to CRC. If you know it fits and saves you money go for it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try it on in a shop and then buy from CRC. Isn't that what shops are for?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As far as I can tell the sizes are XS/S S/M. L/XL. 3 sizes ?
  • M_rift04
    M_rift04 Posts: 504
    My S/M Flux is good for my head of 58cm.. Measure yours and see...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ilovedirt wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Why so? I like saving money, you obviously have too much ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Just measured my noggins and 60cm
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Its the shape of your head not just the size people are talking about, best advice is to try before you buy with helmets. No one wants a headache from wearing a helmet for 2 hours.
  • paul.skibum
    Precisely - Fox helmets (whatever style) do not fit to my head. Neither do 661. Also I find the chin straps a bit of a pain too.

Met lids fit me like a head glove. So do Kali. That is why I have a Met XC lid and a Kali DH - I tried on loads to find one that fitted well.

If I had bought on line I'd have got a Flux as I like the look of them but then I'd have to have bought another.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CRC do free returns now, incidentally.

Flux is a good helmet- good coverage, decent venting, excellent if slightly fragile fitting system. But on the downside, quite bulky, quite heavy, and has the retarded rear wing thing for downforce (which, ingeniously, is more solidly attached to the helmet than the visor). But all in all, excellent.

Striker is a better helmet in just about every way though, except for having marginally less base-of-skull cover, maybe 5mm or so less on my medium sized noggin.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    ilovedirt wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

That's simply not true though, CRC do free returns from your local newsagent using collect+, and most LBS have crap stock. You order 10 lids, try them on in the comfort of your own home, send them back FOC even at 6 am on on a Sunday if you do not like them (or even if you do you can try em on then order on cheaper else where) why would anyone go round half dozen LBS with crap stock, worse service and offensive prices?
  • paul.skibum
    I thought CRC didnt do returns on helmets because of the risk of damage done to them that cant be seen?

Havent looked recently though.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I bought a fox flux after trying it on in the shop, took a couple of rides to notice it doesn't like my head shape. It's ok, not uncomfortable but I'll be going back to Giro for my next lid.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I thought CRC didnt do returns on helmets because of the risk of damage done to them that cant be seen?

Nope, that'd be illegal.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:

Nope, that'd be illegal.

Distance Selling regulations FTW!
  • I bought a 661 full face from CRC a few months ago that didn't fit - returned for a full refund.

I have a pretty big head and the XL flux fits me fine - as long as you're prepared that you might have to return it, get it bought!
  • ilovedirt
    benpinnick wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Why so? I like saving money, you obviously have too much ;)
    No, It's just a waste of time and money buying helmets online if they're not going to fit, as I have discovered. Plus I like to support my LBS where I can.

Also, you can return helmets to CRC. I did it a few months ago on one that didn't fit, and so did a friend because his was damaged in the post.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • may be too late, but my 2p on the flux,
    i got mine fromthe lbs, the sizings always made me look though, xs/s s/m l/xl, after a hair cut i could get in the s/m but with normal hair its the L/xl a m/l would be perfect!!
    previous helmet was a giro hex, both the hex and flux weigh about the same, have the same amount of vents etc. but in the fox lid i sweat like crazy! never used to in the hex,
    its not a bad lid, nut am glad i didnt pay the retail on it!!

try one if you can,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481