tractor - hey bale folks

pdug175
pdug175 Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Often saw this whilst driving and not thought much about it, but saw a Tractor and it's hey bale folks pointing at an inviting 45 degree angle whilst out the other night. It did have a traffic cone on one of the folks but cant help but think that wouldn't be much use if you found yourself impaled on one.

It didn't half put the jeepers up me!

Comments

• Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Those hay bale fork things are lethal, and round our way the farmers often leave them set low while driving on roads. They shouldn't do it, they should be raised up high out of harms way, but I suspect it makes their tractor top heavy and they can't drive so fast. Frightening really - especially this time of year when they are working late in to the twilight.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Come on you two, out! This is for city commuters, not you country folk with yer strange ways, now bugger off. "Hey bales" indeed. :roll:
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    I bet you have street lights and everything where you be...
  • pdug175
    pdug175 Posts: 3
    'hey' we don't all work in an office you know :D
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    About 5 years ago I was driving through Ilkley and came across a stationary tractor and trailer in the main street - trailer minus one of several bales (of the very very large round variety). Said bale was on the footpath with pedestrian underneath.

I called emergency services and fortunately car behind me contained a nurse - pedestrian survived.

It's dangerous out here in the country - I've always wondered why 9 out of 10 farmers in the Dales are lame in one leg.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    pdug175 wrote:
    'hey' we don't all work in an office you know :D

Work? That's a good one.
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    getprg wrote:
    About 5 years ago I was driving through Ilkley...
    Baht 'elmet?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Are the hey bale folks a funk meets country music group?

Hay hay hay hay hay.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I remember (years back) cycling through a village a week after the farmer had accidentally driven through with his sileage trailer running.

Apparently ALL the houses down one side got completely covered in raw cow sh*t

Beautiful village - the flowers did AMAZINGLY well for years, always a bit of an odd pong though.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I remember (years back) cycling through a village a week after the farmer had accidentally driven through with his sileage trailer running.

Apparently ALL the houses down one side got completely covered in raw cow sh*t

Beautiful village - the flowers did AMAZINGLY well for years, always a bit of an odd pong though.

Silage is more like hey than cow pooo, it is fermented grass with a strong but not unpleasant bouquet.
    Townies! geroffofmylannnnd.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was being polite :)

It was in fact liquid sh*t - one of those big spinning chain buggers and it sprayed the damn stuff everywhere
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

It was in fact liquid sh*t - one of those big spinning chain buggers and it sprayed the damn stuff everywhere

"Slurry" is perfectly polite.
  • Not to be pedantic but "hey" sounds like something the Fonz might say.

A farmer is more likely to carry Hay on his tractor. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643

So it was a muck spreader not a sileage trailer then.

+1 to ignorant townies! :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem