getting the itch

jimmies
jimmies Posts: 156
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I've only been riding a little while and I currently have the Triban 3....It has been a perfect bike to start with as I wasn't sure if road cycling was going to be my thing - I'm 99% sure it is and with that in mind I'm thinking of the next step(s)

I'm looking at £1200 range and there are plenty of choices - but my question is, would I be better of getting a 105 gear set or a Ultegra....bearing cost in mind....from the guys who have used both....what IS the difference between the two on the road?

I could just also go down the road of spending £500 on better specing the Triban.....My front wheel and tyre weight over 1440 grams, so I'm sure I could lose 600g by just putting on nice secondhand set of wheels and lighter tyres

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Very little difference between 105 and Ultegra in reality, both are great products. Ultegra will be lighter (280g according to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/), stiffer and possibly fractionally longer wearing because of better quality materials.

Doesn't the Triban 3 come with Shimano 2300, upgrading to 105 would mean replacing the whole groupset. That plus new wheels means you would be better off selling the Triban and going for something like the Giant Defy 1.
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    sorry if not clear

I would only upgrade the triban with wheels and other basic stuff.....If I has to buy a new bike I would look to spend £1200 (£1000 + £200 re-sale of Triban)

There are plenty of bikes around that mark
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I don't know how much kit like proper road shoes, pedals, clothing etc. that you've got already. You could go for the Defy 1 and then spend the rest on new shoes, pedals, bike fit etc.

If I could afford to spend £1k on a new bike, I wouldn't consider spending £400 on new wheels for the Triban - although a great beginners bike, if you can afford a new bike with 105, go for it.
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    + 1

I've got a Giant Defy 1 with the Shimano 105 groupset, and it really is an amazing bike. Payed £1000 for mine with £180 allowance for accessories (Helmets, Pedals etc.)
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Have a look at the Cube Peleton Race with 105. Good value. Or go carbon with Madone 3.1. Can be found for around £1200 if you look for a 2012 model.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Have a look at the Cube peloton Race with 105. Good value. Or go carbon with Madone 3.1. Can be found for around £1200 if you look for a 2012 model.

+1 for the Madone 3.1 or Cube Agree GTC for a similar price.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Poor spec on that Trek MADONE for the money.
    Canyon Ultimate AL with Sram Force & Ksyrium elites for £1400
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Will the Triban take mudguards? If so then i'd buy a £1000 bike and a set of mudguards for the Triban, and then ride through the winter without worrying about the good bike..