Insurance

Elliot Ross
Elliot Ross Posts: 182
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hello, I have a Boardman comp fs and I am going to university in october. Therefore I need insurance for it as it is obviously expensive! Are there any good insurance companies for cycles? Cheap would be nice, but they also need to be reputable.

Thanks
Elliot

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'm in the same position, where are you off to? :) I found I could insure my bike through endsleigh (specific bike cover, the normal one only covers bikes up to £400) for about £5 a month, that was just an online quote though and I haven't really looked into it much further.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Cycleguard is quite good,think it's the cheapest bike specific insurance I managed to find though, some places are cheap. Prices vary depends on where you are though, some places are cheap, others such as London (and probably Bristol I'd imagine) along with other cities can be quite expensive as bike thefts are fairly common.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Endsleigh is the king of student insurance and deals with bikes a lot. Though usually students have some heap of crap of a bike, not something expensive.

Check the small print, if you're in shared accommodation that doesn't have a room lock on your own room they might not cover it. Assuming you keep it in your own room, which is recommended. Student bikes are a prime target so premiums can be high.

Check also (assuming you're not a mature student) your parents home insurance and if they might cover the bike away from home at uni. Maybe for a fee but might be less than a dedicated one.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    deadkenny wrote:
    Check also (assuming you're not a mature student) your parents home insurance and if they might cover the bike away from home at uni. Maybe for a fee but might be less than a dedicated one.

That's a good call, my parents took out their insurance again to cover contents and laptop etc at uni, so I'll have a look into that too! How does insurance work? Do you have to have your bike valued? Or can you make it up depending on what new stuff you've put on it? I'm just worried about getting a bike with a far worse spec than what I have :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Depends on the insurance. Usually they cover as standard up to a certain value and you basically just need receipts for the bike and any component upgrades and put in a claim for that when stolen. Beyond that value you may need to specify the bike and will be charged an extra fee. The value is down to you, doesn't really matter what it's actually worth as you're paying the premium for that amount of insurance but obviously it costs more the higher the value.

*But* insurances vary on what they'll actually give you. You can insure for £1k and if they do new for old, you get £1k. If they cover like for like based on wear and tear you'll get the value they think it's worth at the time, i.e. £1k new but used for a year and you may only get £500. The premiums may be lower though.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Endsleigh is the king of student insurance and deals with bikes a lot.

Don't insure with Endsleigh.
  • angry_bird
    deadkenny wrote:

In general or just when it comes down to bikes?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Worth checking your parents' cover.

When I was at uni my parents' home insurance covered me as long as I wasn't away from home for more than 90 days at any one time. That was about the length of a term so I was probably legitimately covered, and there was no way for them to prove I had or hadn't been home anyway.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Used to be the pretty much the only option for student insurance back in my day, but that's going back a bit now. Expensive for what it covered and bike cover was rubbish but no one I knew had a bike worth more than £50, and mountain biking was unheard of (but then I was in Portsmouth and there's a slight lack of anything with an incline round there).
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Have a look at locks that provide insurance. I had a bike knicked years ago while secured with a D-lock (Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp).
    There was a little more hassle as it was USA based, getting the claim form signed by a Notary Public and posting the broken lock, but I had a cheque for $900 in the post a few weeks later, which covered the bike and a little change left over after the exchange rate
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

In general or just when it comes down to bikes?

In general, expensive and took ages to sort out a simple claim and screwed me over when I was a student. Never going back.
  • Hi thanks for the replies.

Are evans cycles insurance a good company?
    http://www.evanscyclesinsurance.com/hom ... de=&affid=

Thanks
    Ell
  • angry_bird
    It's done by the same people who do Cycleguard, and by just whacking in my details wants to charge 10% more than cycleguard...