"Get on my wheel". Why?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
What are the actual benefits of getting on someone's wheel going uphill? I struggled a bit during a recent group ride and one of the more experienced riders offered me his wheel and advised me about not letting a gap open up if possible. While I appreciated his support and advice, I'm unsure of what help it was actually giving me, if I'm honest I didn't feel any different. I understand on the flat, at highers speeds, it can assist by keeping you out of the wind but at lower speeds is it just psychological?

cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the efficiency of slipstreaming will reduce as the air speed reduces, but it is still a boost and measurable

and if your struggling, making you focus on the wheel in front will help you shut out the pain and lack of air.......
    and before you know it your over the hill.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Marginal slipstreaming - I would thought more the constant effort benefit (assuming the experienced rider will ride smoothly) - and of course, as has been mentioned, the psychological benefit of concentrating on the wheel in front.
  • I would have thought the easier option was to get slightly in front and ask him to push you up...? :wink:

(A tactic employed by Mrs G when we were in France earlier this year!)
  • at a slow pace going up hills I think its most helpful for pacing and motivation
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Not being able to see the top can help persikologically, methinks.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    at a slow pace going up hills I think its most helpful for pacing and motivation

+1

Unless there's a howling headwind, there's no aerodynamic advantage to "slipstreaming" uphill.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Secteur wrote:
    at a slow pace going up hills I think its most helpful for pacing and motivation

+1

Unless there's a howling headwind, there's no aerodynamic advantage to "slipstreaming" uphill.
    Well not at your pace. ;)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thanks
    , I thought that might be the case.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    He wants you to look at his ass. All the way up the hill hes thinking "oh yeah baby you like that dont you, yeah dont try and fight it, come on try harder i might let you touch it ........etc"
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Grenouille wrote:
    I would have thought the easier option was to get slightly in front and ask him to push you up...? :wink:

(A tactic employed by Mrs G when we were in France earlier this year!)

:mrgreen: I'm happy to say Mr R employs this tactic. Mind you he did nearly shove me into a hedge once :shock: