Daft Strava Question

Avant
Avant Posts: 29
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Apologies in advance for the noobness of this question.

I just discovered Strava and found that there is a segment running right through my village - when im riding with the Strava app how do I 'join' the segment? do I just start the activity and finish it and the app realises there was a segment on the route?

Feeling hyper competative!

Comments

• boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Hi.

just get starva to log your normal run, as long as your run includes the specific segment, when you finalise the run, it will upload your time, and then you will realise you are not as quick as you think, and start to wonder if some people are doing it on a motrobike :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, just do a ride, Strava knows which segments you've ridden on and automatically puts you on the leaderboard for each one. They are directional, so make sure you're riding it the right way.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes,exactly that. Not a daft question at all, one we've all asked
  • Avant
    Thanks for the replys everyone - the weather looks ok for Sunday for a first go - can't wait!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    boogi11 wrote:
    and start to wonder if some people are doing it on a motrobike :D
    Oh, I think some do ....

I've thought about stealing some KOM's ... signup for Strava with a bogus account ... drive around with the GPS on - try to go for a believable speed - upload the result and let Strava send out those "You've lost your KOM" email ...

or would that be a bit mean! ;)
  • Avant
    I think the segment I have been looking at is part of the local clubs route - oh well its something to aim towards..
  • So your question about Strava isn't daft; rather your question is about daft Strava. ;)

Get out while you still can. :lol:
  • boogi11 wrote:

start to wonder if some people are doing it on a motrobike :D

:lol: I did wonder after one of my local climbs.
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • boh67
    boh67 Posts: 71
    boogi11 wrote:

One climb I do (slowly) the top of the leader board has done it at 42mph :shock:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    boh67 wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:

One climb I do (slowly) the top of the leader board has done it at 42mph :shock:

Report it to Strava... it's likely they will remove it. If you look at the rest of the 42mphers ride you will likely see all of the journey at car-like speed.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Definitely - there is a button labelled "Flag Ride" to the right hand side of the map. I've had a load of mountain bikers leave their phone app on whilst driving home taking KOM on several uphill segments showing 40 mph.

As soon as you click "Flag Ride" their ride is withdrawn and they are sent an email telling them to review it and sort it out. They can for example "Crop" their ride data, removing the bit after they finished their ride.
  • I wish we could opt in and out of segments. I don't want other people to see my data.... That's why I've given myself a different name :)
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    Had the bike a week now but only just started with strava. I've imported a couple of rides from cyclemeter. Quite impressed how it all works and picks up the segments. I'm even 4th on one of them, should easily be able to take 3rd sport but a lot of work to do to take the KOM. :)
  • lancejambo
    lancejambo Posts: 147
    One question to jump on the back of this thread (sorry) Strava will not let me create segments is that because i'm not a premium member?
    Also some of those record we are chasing must have been done by a bunch of riders chain-ganging :roll:
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    lancejambo wrote:
    One question to jump on the back of this thread (sorry) Strava will not let me create segments is that because i'm not a premium member?
    Also some of those record we are chasing must have been done by a bunch of riders chain-ganging :roll:
    Unless they've changed it recently you don't have to be a premium member. Simply whilst viewing one of your rides that includes the part you want as a segment, click Create Segment then move the start and end points, finally give it a name.
  • lancejambo
    lancejambo Posts: 147
    Yer cheers that's what i thought but takes ages for it to download or do what it needs to do. Until i get bored and turn it off