Kilo2 go Wiggle Rutland...

GuyWhitlock1993
GuyWhitlock1993 Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I've always enjoyed cycling, but have only recently (3 weeks ago) started cycling outside of necessity (commuting). I'm slowly building up my mileage each week, with the intent of starting to hit up some Sportive's next year. However, I noticed this Event is quite late in the year (still two months away). I was just wondering whether anyone thinks it is possible to train/cycle enough to be at a level enough to tackle the 70-odd mile route in two months, or should I just wait until the next season starts?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Guy

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Did 75 miles on my third ever ride so yes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • How much of a basis did you have before you started though? I've never had particularly good stamina and endurance,so it's something I really need to build up quite a lot before hand.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Used to be in really good shape but hadn't exercised seriously in a few months.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No problem. Try doing the total distance over three or four rides during the week, then reduce the number of rides still hitting the total. The short route still has around 1300m of climbing I believe and whilst those in the Peaks etc would laugh at such piffling hills, it's still going to tax you so get some hill work in.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks for the encouraging replies. I managed 31 miles today with relative ease and no stops, which (although regarded by some on here as a bit rubbish) to me personally is a good sign, and I'm gonna push up to 35/40 next week, and hopefully build up. Someone I am going to cycle with suggested this http://www.stneotscyclingclub.info/index.php/sportive as a good idea, but gives me 3/4 less weeks to prepare, what do people think about that instead? it will have less climbing than the wiggle Rut, but ill have half as much time near enough, and I'm not too sure what to aim for.

Thanks,
    Guy
  • StillGoing
    2000ft of climbing over 120km is very little so you should be able to cope with that unless it's all within a short distance and the rest is flat. I wouldn't worry about speed and time, just ensure you finish. Concentrate on getting the distance covered during a weeks riding in as few rides as possible as you approach the event. Once you can do 50 miles I'd say you can do the 72 of the Wiggle Rut without too much additional effort given the terrain.
  • Thanks for the reply. There's still quite a lot of spaces so I'll see how well it goes over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully be okay to do at least one of them. It would also completely destroy the (clearly low) expectations I had of myself. xD
  • StillGoing
    Well may see you there.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm thinking about this one now... I think the course info says most of the climbing is in the first half so seems even more doable
  • StillGoing
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm thinking about this one now... I think the course info says most of the climbing is in the first half so seems even more doable

It says something like just over 50% of the climbing is in the first half, thus just under 50% is in the second half so I'm not sure what point they're trying to make there other than the rides climbing is fairly equally spaced rather than all at the end or beginning?

Route Stats
    Long route: 102 miles with circa 1,800m of ascent evenly spaced across the total distance.

Short route: 72 miles with circa 1,300m of ascent where just over half of the total ascent is in the first half of the route.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    oh yes, silly me....