Mavic Crosstrail wheelset

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just after opinions/alternatives to the Mavic wheels. Upgrade for my trance X4, currently running giant S-XC2.

I'm after shedding a bit of weight of the bike and was looking at running a tubeless setup on a lighter wheel. I mostly ride Pines area, with trips to Peak District + Cannock and occasional ventures further afield to Wales/Scotland/Lakes. I want a wheel light enough to climb and accelerate well, but can handle a bit of rough when pointed downhill. Just like the Trance.

I found the Mavics here for £320 which seems like a decent price.
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... elset_2012

Anybody used the Mavics? Other options? Looked at Superstar wheels briefly but read the quality can be a bit hit or miss.

All advice appreciated.
Matt

Comments

• sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    have a look at the hope hoops as similar price. prefer the hubs to the mavics for durability and flexibility for swapping axel diametres. Paired with some stans ZTR rims and you've got an excellent tubeless set up. dfro a similar weight you wouldbe looking at the crest rims (1650gr for the pair iirc) but more xc orientated, or for a more trail / am set up look at the arch ex rims (c 1750gr iirc). obviously slightly heavier, but excellent lively wheels and you can shave the etc 75gr with good tire choice
  • Nothing wrong with Superstar sets.. not heard a bad thing from people I ride with! Loads of lads got em!

I'd have superstar over Hope anyday, the hub is pretty much identical to the pro2 without the stupid noise.