Just been offered this by a mate, Is it worth it??

dai1984
dai1984 Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Was looking at getting a Carve 29 Comp for about £850 but a friend heard I was looking for a new bike and offered me his Scott Scale 70 like the one in the link below for £200 (he's used it 5 times, all on road and it hasn't got a scratch on it). I was thinking about buying his bike off him then spending on a new fork and components. Anybody think its better to do that or better to go for the new bike instead. I would obviously change the fork first of all on the back of the review its had but has anybody got any ideas what else would be good upgrades for the Scott.
Any help would be much appreciated?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-09-34966

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do it.
  • For £200 i would!
  • dai1984
    It is a good deal isn't it?? I feel like as it's rather cheap for a bike he paid 800 for there must be a catch there but he's saying he just needs the money. Any advice on upgrades?
  • Chunkers1980
    If he's a good mate then you won't be being done. Only you can decide.
  • dai1984 wrote:
    It is a good deal isn't it?? I feel like as it's rather cheap for a bike he paid 800 for there must be a catch there but he's saying he just needs the money. Any advice on upgrades?

Mates rates! Dont knock em!

Ride it and see first. The fork is the stand-out let down, but the rest looks fine.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Give it a ride, if you like get it, then upgrade whatever is needed (Scales are nice bikes)
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    buy!! or give me his number and ill buy!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Chunkers1980
    Don't think the frame will be to your standard.
  • Adotparker
    will be to Ebay standards easy 200 quid profit!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • dai1984
    I tried out a new scale 80 and liked the feel of it but just thought as its an older model it might not be as good, I'm struggling to find somewhere with an actual spec for the scale 70 and haven't seen it yet so thats the only reason i'm undecided. He's said its a mates rates deal to be fair, he wanted over 300 for it. I'll let you know Adotparker as he's def looking to sell one way or another! By the looks of things I'll be having it though sorry ha
  • dai1984
    Just found a spec and I after a quick test ride if it feels solid I'll be having it, cant go wrong for the spec with that kind of money
  • Adotparker
    dai1984 wrote:
    Just found a spec and I after a quick test ride if it feels solid I'll be having it, cant go wrong for the spec with that kind of money

Even I of somewhat snobbery am tempted on that!!! ........... enjoy! could be worse could be a halfords or decathlon bike!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • dai1984
    Adotparker wrote:
    dai1984 wrote:

Even I of somewhat snobbery am tempted on that!!! ........... enjoy! could be worse could be a halfords or decathlon bike!

Haha, I just read a post which had comments between yourself and another gentleman about "your snobbery" so I'll take that as a compliment :wink: It looks a bargain so if it all checks out well it looks like I'll eventually have a new bike and a lil project too
  • Adotparker
    yeah he must take comission off decathlon.......... it'd make a decent throw about like my crush.......
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • dai1984
    Haha I wouldn't quite say it's that good of a bargain to come close to the crush.......I wish!! ha
  • Adotparker
    dai1984 wrote:
    Haha I wouldn't quite say it's that good of a bargain to come close to the crush.......I wish!! ha

my crush is made in taiwan. well the frame is......... but i wanted a cheap throw about for work, fram was only 239,99 after voucher code and what not.......... id only reccomend the orange 5 or alpine...... or patriot.... build wise....... that trek built up with XT and slx brakes will be decent
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Adotparker wrote:
    B'twin are like daewoo .......... good value, good guarantee... but hey...... it's a daewoo.......

That good Far Eastern car manufacturer. From this I can insinuate that you think bikes made in the Far East are useless and nobody should buy them.
    Adotparker wrote:
    my crush is made in taiwan. well the frame is.........

Awkward.....................................................................................................................................

(Note comically mocking amount of full stop pauses) (......)