Rutland sportive, what have I done

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Ok, I am expecting a bit of criticism for signing up for the 109 mile sportive Rutland cogs, when really I'm not ready, in my heart of hearts I know that, but part of my fear is the apprehension of not knowing what to expect. I am fit, but perhaps carrying an extra stone and a half., I'm biking 25-35 miles three times a week

What sort of people wil be doing the 109 mile, am i going to see 500 top of the range bikes, with all riders wearing team tops, or will there be a good range of people, Will there be some people just plodding along. I know it's not 109 miles a, but I did 31 miles the other day , 1000ft climbed, and averaged 16mph, and can quite happily bike 50miles, it's time preventing me going further, not energy .

My other concern is that I live in spalding that's like a pool table , no hills, How bad will the climbs be , the route is Rutland water to graffam water and back.

Also I have never biked in a group, what do I do sit at the back, get out of the way, or take the lead

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    1st well done on signing up for a challenge. Try and find time to get some longer rides in beforehand, but don't worry about doing the full distance before the day.

2nd the sportive will most likely be made up of nearly every type of cyclist you can think of. Last weekend i passed numerous MTBs and even a woman with a basket mounted on the front. This was whilst doing the York 100.

3rd take it steady, especially on the first hills, no point burning yourself out early. If you want to sprint wait until your last few miles.

4th take advantage of the feed stations, refill your bottles, grab a bite and stretch your legs.

As for riding in groups, if you ride behind someone its often worth asking if they mind you grabbing a tow. Also lets them know your there. If at any time you feel uncomfortable, either too close to someone in front or someone too close behind either slow off or wave them past. Most importantly don't rider faster than your confident with.
    If you do get riding with anyone (which i expect you will at some point) tell them its your first sportive and group ride, they will probably be very helpful and give you some good tips.

Enjoy it! I'm already looking forward to doing another, just gotta find one that fits in with my shifts and other stuff.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    boogi11 wrote:
    I know it's not 109 miles a, but I did 31 miles the other day , 1000ft climbed, and averaged 16mph, and can quite happily bike 50miles, it's time preventing me going further, not energy .

Think you'll struggle.
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Sounds extremely challenging to me. I don't expect to be fit enough until at least February next year to do 100 miles.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's v likely that you can do 109 miles, it'll just take you longer. As we're always being told, sportivs aren't races. Someone has to roll in last; it probably won't be you.

Set off as early as possible withe the first riders to go but don't try to keep their pace. As you slip backwards through the field you'll hook up with other groups and eventually you'll find one that's at your pace. Either that or you will be last man home.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you average 16mph on your flat rides, just ease back a bit conserving your energy. Whilst riding on those flat fen roads isn't the same as going over lumps, you also don't get much of an opportunity to coast either. Is this the one on the 27th October by chance?

Edit: No I see it's the 2nd Sept.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • boogi11
    mmm, hardly encouraging,

well you dont know if you dont try, i shall rpeort back after, im very stubborn, so we shall see

i would like to know how hilly that route is likely to be?

and yes it is the one on the 2nd
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    boogi11 wrote:
    What sort of people wil be doing the 109 mile, am i going to see 500 top of the range bikes, with all riders wearing team tops, or will there be a good range of people, Will there be some people just plodding along.
    you will see a good number of really good bikes - but it isn't the bike that matters - it's the person on top! There are beginners who spend £1k+ on their "first road bike" - they might be really fit or they might not be - so don't be intimidated when someone comes up with a fast looking bike ...
    Anyway - it's not a race!
    boogi11 wrote:
    I know it's not 109 miles a, but I did 31 miles the other day , 1000ft climbed, and averaged 16mph, and can quite happily bike 50miles, it's time preventing me going further, not energy
    My other concern is that I live in spalding that's like a pool table , no hills, How bad will the climbs be , the route is Rutland water to graffam water and back.
    The report says: "Complete all the locally renowned climbs totalling 4,400ft of ascent," so - 31 miles 1000 feet - it's going to be a bit hillier than that - but not OTT - my 50milers used to be ~3000 feet of climbing and 3 4th cat hills ...
    boogi11 wrote:
    Also I have never biked in a group, what do I do sit at the back, get out of the way, or take the lead
    If you've never ridden on someone elses wheel then I would suggest you don't try ... at least not to start with!
    You need to be able to ride in a straight line, keep an eye in front of the rider you're tailing and above all - trust that the rider in front isn't going to make any sudden moves that causes you an off ...

I've ridden in a group twice - it's hard work concentrating all that time.
    I've also tailed my brother (he's more experienced than me) - that was easier as he knows my limits as well as riding smoothly and consistently plus it's only 1 rider to concentrate on ...

If you can find one or two riders to ride with then its probably worth working together - if nothing else you'll have someone to chat with!

As for the distance - take it easy and make sure you have plenty of water & sufficient food ...
  • boogi11
    thanks, some usefull advice there, think ill just take my time and do my own thing, i think the hills in that neck of the woods are more rolling than killer climbs, perhaps witht the exception with 2 killers.

this im getting more concerned than i need to, going to try and start early and pace myself, i think i should be finished worst case in 7.5hrs excluding food stops and mechanical breakdowns.

how does the broom wagon work is it going to be following me round?
  • boogi11 wrote:
    thanks, some usefull advice there, think ill just take my time and do my own thing, i think the hills in that neck of the woods are more rolling than killer climbs, perhaps witht the exception with 2 killers.

this im getting more concerned than i need to, going to try and start early and pace myself, i think i should be finished worst case in 7.5hrs excluding food stops and mechanical breakdowns.

how does the broom wagon work is it going to be following me round?

Mate don't worry about it. Either you'll finish, or you won't. And if it's the latter,then it's not exactly the end of the world, and no one will be laughing at you. Quite the opposite, I would imagine.

Just give it your best shot, eat and drink regularly throughout the ride, and don't worry about the time.
  • Well done for signing up. I've only been cycling since April and I'm 41. I haven't ridden properly for maybe 20 years. So I used to go out and do around 40miles twice a week ( after building up to this over a few weeks ). Now I regularly do 60 to 70 mile rides with the local cycle club and find it fairly easy ( but that depends on who is out ). I did Manchester to Blackpool in 3 hours 19mins and felt awful afterwards.
    Now I have just completed the Ride with Brad 100mile 10,000 feet sportive last weekend and it was great. We completed it in a moving time of 7 hours 7 mins and I felt reasonably strong at the end. And there are some killer hills in that too ( as you will note on other threads ). I have to admit at being surprised at how many `large` people tried to attempt the 60mile ride, they must have walked every hill pushing their MTB or shopping bike with basket. To me I wouldn't have even attempted the ride but maybe the l lure of seeing/riding with Wiggo ( which I did for a mile at the top of Cross O Greets before the drop downto Wray ) was too much?
    My advice would be to make sure you eat regularly and keep hydrated. Our plan is typically to eat a piece of Soreen every 10 miles and we have 2 bottles that normally we would go through every 50 miles. I would also try to get cake/sandwich in at a feed station maybe half way. Don't stop too long as it will be awful when you ride again - legs start to go stiff and you might get cold too.
    I'm not expert but it seems to work for me and my mate.

Best of all have fun and just do your best. Don't worry about the `fast` riders, we had plenty coming past us. Ignore them and continue at your own pace.

Good luck!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • boogi11
    cheers plato, that was what i was looking for, somebodu who has done it.
    like the bloke before said, ill either make it or i wont.

time will tell
  • boogi11
    Well done for signing up. I've only been cycling since April and I'm 41. I haven't ridden properly for maybe 20 years. So I used to go out and do around 40miles twice a week ( after building up to this over a few weeks ). Now I regularly do 60 to 70 mile rides with the local cycle club and find it fairly easy ( but that depends on who is out ). I did Manchester to Blackpool in 3 hours 19mins and felt awful afterwards.
    Now I have just completed the Ride with Brad 100mile 10,000 feet sportive last weekend and it was great. We completed it in a moving time of 7 hours 7 mins and I felt reasonably strong at the end. And there are some killer hills in that too ( as you will note on other threads ). I have to admit at being surprised at how many `large` people tried to attempt the 60mile ride, they must have walked every hill pushing their MTB or shopping bike with basket. To me I wouldn't have even attempted the ride but maybe the l lure of seeing/riding with Wiggo ( which I did for a mile at the top of Cross O Greets before the drop downto Wray ) was too much?
    My advice would be to make sure you eat regularly and keep hydrated. Our plan is typically to eat a piece of Soreen every 10 miles and we have 2 bottles that normally we would go through every 50 miles. I would also try to get cake/sandwich in at a feed station maybe half way. Don't stop too long as it will be awful when you ride again - legs start to go stiff and you might get cold too.
    I'm not expert but it seems to work for me and my mate.

Best of all have fun and just do your best. Don't worry about the `fast` riders, we had plenty coming past us. Ignore them and continue at your own pace.

Good luck!

got the same bike as you, how you getting on, i love mine, but have found re seating the tyres after tube change a real git
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rutland has some hills though they're more big rollers than steep climbs. Some are long slogs but just take your time. Do your own pace and don't try keeping up with others. Refuel often and before you feel you need it to avoid losing energy. Use a HR monitor and try staying in zone 3 and low zone 4 for as much as possible.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • [/quote]
    got the same bike as you, how you getting on, i love mine, but have found re seating the tyres after tube change a real git[/quote]

Yep they def are buggers to get off let alone put back on. I got a puncture riding to work the other week ( second day in new job too! ). I then nipped the new inner tube trying to get the tyre back on so was fortunate that my missus could pick me up and take me to work!
    I've replaced them with some Schwalbe Ultremo Zx as the rear was a bit knackered after the puncture ( didn't trust the hole in it ). Got the red ones but its made the bike look completely different so wished I'd got a different colour? As the Schwalbe's are folding they are simple to put on and take off. Got them from Merlin Cycles for £23 each I think. Would have preferred the turquoise ones to go more with the Celeste colour of my bike.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    I did the 54m Rutland back in April after 6mths of cycling and believe me to a novice there seemed alot of hills :lol: I think there was about 3000ft, of ascent on that one. Oh and the weather was awful!!

Everyone is different and at 47 I guess Im not as fit as i used to be but believe me dont underestimate those hills like I did.....I was pleased to see the finish :D

Im from Lincs so you have to look for the hills here too, however my winter training this year is going to be hills ready to try the Rutland 54m again in April :D

BTW Im doing Le Petit Lincoln GP in a couple of weeks, 109m but I dont expect it to be anywhere near as hard as Rutland.

Good luck anyways.
    Gaz
  • boogi11
    , well, illdo,one more big ride tomorrow, then relax for the next week and see what happens next Sunday, I'll either get round or. Won't?

You any where near spalding Allen?