I'd like a Cycling Holiday - September 2012

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited August 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hopefully someone can help reduce my time on Google as my trawl to date hasn't provided the answer.

I'm hoping to have a free week towards the end of next month and I'd like to go cycling somewhere abroad. I've never been on one before but I'd like something warm/hot, good rides (organised of self led), reasonable accommodation. And ideally I'd like to rent a bike rather than bring along one of mine.

I'm very likely to be going on my own but I'm happy to join an existing party. My cycling ability is good enough for say 50miles a day and I'll give the odd hill my best effort.

If you've done something similar and have some advice or recommendations I welcome your comments.

BTW in case it's important I'm a male in his 40s
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I liked Slovenia so much I went back again. Its like Europe on a plate, all accessible on a bike with easy rail connections if you want to skip bits.
    You can just rent a bike or use a local organised tour company
    The best accommodation is probably tourist farms, good food, comfortable rooms and good locations throughout the country and in late Sept, no need to book.
    You might have the odd rainy day esp in the mountains but mostly it is warm late summer, mid 20sC.
    There are recommended bike routes in all parts of the country, I just took a map and made my own tour.
  • FitzM
    Thx Michael, put Slovinia and cycling into Google and found a useful site

http://www.slovenia.info/?kolesarjenje=0&lng=2
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I have just come back from Bourg st Maurice where i stayed at chillchalet. Decent accomodation and food and very good hospitality. I took my own bike. I am glad i did. The riding out into the Alps is really quite wonderful but you cannot go very far before the road leads up hill, or rather, up mountain. Comet de Roseland, Les Arcs and the 50km ride, uphill almost the whole way to the Col D'Iserian, were the highlights.
    There is also a fantastic trafic free bike lane that snakes down from Bourg st Maurice to Amie, following the river and passing a lake where you can stop for coffee etc. I and many others used it for warm ups/training.
    I am a reasonably fit 49y old. The Col D'Iserian was a real struggle and i suspect would have been harder on a rented bike that might be heavier and not fit so well. You can hire Scott road bikes for about 18 euros a day.

We travelled by overnight train to and from Paris, having taken Eurostar.

Hope this helps.
  • FitzM
    Thx Bobinski, that does help. Cheers