Going to Norway?

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Has anyone else been very, very tempted to book the advertised £36 flights?
I thought it'd be just some advertising bumf, but you really can get £36 flights!

Anyone been? Worth a long weekend? Pretty expensive once you're there though?

Comments

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Any savings on flights will be more than eaten into by the cost of living in Norway!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Jaw dropping scenery; jaw dropping prices. There's enough in Oslo to keep you busy for a weekend and you can get out to the countryside on the tube (Tbanen) which heads out to the ski jump at Holmenkollen.

http://www.osloguide.org/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Jaw dropping scenery; jaw dropping prices. There's enough in Oslo to keep you busy for a weekend and you can get out to the countryside on the tube (Tbanen) which heads out to the ski jump at Holmenkollen.

http://www.osloguide.org/

Yep, I can second all of the above. As an added incentive, I don't think I've ever been in a city with a higher percentage of unspeakably hot women than Oslo in the summer.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    We have a client in Oslo so been there a few times, but thankfully all on expenses!! :)

For hotels expect to pay about the same prices as London hotels, but everything else is at least twice as expensive as over here.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've been to northern Norway. It is cripplingly expensive. Coffee and a cake - that'll be a tenner. a beer? £9.

You'd do well to survive the day on £50 for food alone and that assumes breakfast is included.

It's nice though - fantastic scenery and lovely people. Just assume everything is at least twice as expensive as here.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    As above. Beautiful place, lovely people, shockingly expensive.

It's not just a bit pricey for going out. Everyday items from normal shops are prohibitively expensive.
    exercise.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It's worth going merely to sample the hot dogs you can get at Oslo airport. Seriously, they're awesome.

I've only really sampled the scenery from Molde, but what scenery it was. Wow.

Not as good as the hot dogs, though.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is a lot more to Norway than just Oslo. Outside of Olso I was camping the whole way. Beer, coffee, cakes? I never did learn the Norwegian for these but I did get a taste for smoked mackerel.
    Top Tip: Thursdays are Free Sample day in supermarkets, esp the upmarkey Meny ones.
    Top Top2: Take a ferry to the Fran Museum to learn about How to Succeed in Arctic Exploration without Dying Heroically.

I stayed at the Anker hostel in Olso which was clean and efficient and not too expensive.
  • I have friends in Bergen.
    Great place for a long weekend. Lively at night, friendly crowd.
    The locals stay in drinking their duty-free (or the stuff that they buy in sweden), and then go out later.
    A bit of a wander about doing nothing type of place - not packed full of touristy stuff.

But christ - the prices. Have a pizza in the equivalent of a Pizza Express and it's £20.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Went up to Gol (half way to Bergen) a few years ago just as the snowline was starting to descent and even managed to get some dog sledding in. It was absolutely magnificent.

Highly recommended
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    If you're cycling around then staying in cabins (hytter) is very reasonable. There are plenty of sites all over the country so you don't need to carry a tent, cooker etc.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"