Trek Ex8 worthy upgrade to a Stumpy FSR Elite?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I currently run a Stumpy FSR Elite 2009 pretty much stock; Fox Talas 140mm forks, Fox Triad 120mm shock, DT Swiss wheels, mix Shimano groupset (XTR rear mech, SLX shifters and front mech, and non-series chainset, etc). Its great, although I find the front end a little "twangy" presumably due to flex in the fork stanchions, and maybe the basic QR hub). Also find it a little short in the top ube, although recent technical riding saw me concentrating on the bike rather than how comfortable it was! Stumpy is the 17" Medium.

I've come across a 2012 Trek Fuel Ex8 at a decent price in my size (17.5"). Do you reckon I'd find this a worthwhile upgrade over the Stumpy? The FUel Ex gets great reviews and has a bolt through axle at the front, and every other component also seems to be a step up...

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 8-12-45702

Just interested in others thoughts or experiences before I jump in. I wont be able to test ride it anywhere that is likely to demonstrate its full potential, so wondered if any actual users had made this chnage, and what were your impressions??

many thanks
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I liked the fuel ex8 trialed it at my local single track center, but much prefered my Norco........
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/sight-2-se-2012-mountain-bike-ec036901?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
    Adotparker wrote:
    I liked the fuel ex8 trialed it at my local single track center, but much prefered my Norco........
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    From a purely spec point of view and the brief spec of your bike I'd say its more of a side step with a little bit forward. Not sure it warrants buying a whole bike.

If the rest of the bike feels fine why don't you look at getting new forks with 20mm or 15mm fitting and new front wheel.

But I do like the Fuel EX. I tried the 2012 Fuel EX8 earlier on in the year and really liked it. Coped with steep technical bits way better than I was expecting from a 120mm travel bike and goes up hills pretty nicely too.

If you've got the money and fancy something new and shiney then go for it but the sensible side of me says to try upgrading forks and wheels first
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    yeah, I was thinking a similar thing, not a huge upgrade move as such, but it is shiny and new! probably not justifiable by the head, but the heart often wins my arguments. can't really afford it either but that's not stopped such purchases before!
    might see if they'll take a little less and seal a deal. sounds like other ex8 users really rate them, as well as those who demoed them.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Trek ex9 rides good but the Glorious upgrade bug took over :mrgreen: