First 45 miler

DonBike
DonBike Posts: 35
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
My usual ride distance is about 20 miles (just becuase of time at the weekend more than anything) which I can do comftably.

I have also done a few 30-35 mile rides which is also fine and I can do that without massess of food etc.

I have plannned what looks like a nice 45 route for the weekend but this would be the longest ride I will have done. Am I likely to find that a big jump, is it too much of a step up from 30 miles?

I should point out that as I am riding in Surrey, the rides are far from flat - in fact Box Hill will be in the last 15 miles of that 45 mile ride!

Thanks

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    45 should be ok.

Like you I mainly do 20-30 mile runs due to available time but have done a couple of 40+ milers. Take an energy gel or something but unless you struggle with the 30+ rides then you should be fine.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Back in the 1st qtr of this year I built miles up from ~20 to ~50 fairly quickly ... I found I just needed a stop every hour or so "to get my breath back" - including a virtual pat on the back for "getting up that hill" ..
    Since then I've dropped back to doing 10 miles in a hit - these do seem to have been getting faster though ..
    then going back out for a 60mile ride was relatively easy - ok, it was with a group ...

Just make sure you take a reasonable level of food (+ emergency!) and drink ... then pace yourself ... don't go hell for leather for 30 miles only to bonk for the last 15 ... :)
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    You should be fine as long as you take it steady. I built my mileage upto 50 miles over a couple of months earlier this year. Up until last weekend my longest ride was 52 miles with one stop of about 10/15 minutes while we waited for a heavy down pour to ease off.
    And last weekend i rode 68 miles with 2 feed station stops.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You'll be fine but don't stop, once you start stopping you'll be stopping every time you go out.
  • Id agree, you will be fine, dont stop and maybe take a banana or something for half way round.