Low Lateral Knee Pain

King_Pin_Rich
King_Pin_Rich Posts: 111
edited August 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Guys,

Perhaps you could share some of thoughts with me.

I'm having issues with my left knee. 7 weeks ago I was halfway around Afan when my knee started hurting. Within a mile or so it got so bad I had to hobble home and ever since it's not been right. What really hurt was being off the saddle with it bent, especially over bumps.

Its a bright ache on the low outside portion of the knee, around the area where you can feel the boney head of your fibula. I know what you'll say, IT band syndrome, and it certainly feels in the right area, perhaps lower though, it even feels like it extends down the side of my shin slightly.
I've been doing very little riding since and certainly nothing intense. I've even been doing regular foam rolling and knee strength exercises over the past 2 weeks. However, I'm not seeing any great improvement, if anything it feels worse; i can feel it aching just sat at my desk!

As I said it been 7 weeks now and its getting me down as the weathers nice for once.
Anyone else managed to resolve similar problems, how long until you saw some improvment?

P.S I dont use cleats.
Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
Cube Road SL

Comments

• Knee problems are a minefield, there's so much can go wrong with your knee and so many causes. If it's persisted for 7 weeks you need to visit a physio who should be able to make a diagnosis.
    If the pain is below the knee it could be jumpers knee rather than ITBS, the treatment is slighlty different but I urge you to visit a physio.
    Cleats aren't always the issue, it could be your stance, or the way your feet sit on the pedals or the constant vibrations from the rough tracks.

In Scotland you can self refer to an NHS Physio but your unlikely to get an appointment for at least 12 weeks. A private appointment should cost in the region of £35-£50, or you could have private medical insurance via your employer.
    A private appointment may well be worth the money as it would get you back on track and riding once more.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Physio is probably a good idea.
    I know its a common complaint, its just so frustrating.

This combined with my IBS flaring up recently i'm feel like i'm falling to bits! Buts thats another story.
    Cube Road SL
  • I pulled a hamstring in April and decided to keep going. It wasn't affecting my riding much and within a week I found I could run without much pain if I ran in a particular way. Then I day late in May on a hard run it felt like I had been kicked in rhe mid outside of the left thigh.

Somewhat belated I got some physio. Actually I say 'pulled my hamstring' but I had pain in the same position as you, also behind the outside of the knee and also the lower front part of the knee. I'd had a scan on the knee which just shower some fluid and normal wear. The physio identified the hamstring pull and the ITB issue immediately.

So here we are months later after a lot of treatment, acupuncture and special exercise and I still have issues with the ITB after 25 to 30 miles or 4+ hours riding and the hamstring is still a little sore after riding, I have not returned to running yet though.

Just recently I changed by bike setup. Moved the seat forward and slightly shortened the stem. Also re checked the seat height which I found was an inch too low. Things are improving a little, I rode for 4 hours yesterday with no I'll effect.

So I'd say see a sport physio and find out what is the problem for sure. Only then can you treat it properly.
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    I had a similar, though not identical, pain from a leg workout at the gym. It didn't really subside over about 5 weeks so I went to a chiropractor - well worth the money if you have it to spare as they're often a lot more qualified than physiotherapists. He quickly identified it as a damaged anterior cruciate ligament; recommended some stretches and some exercise, followed by some very painful therapeutic movement and it's almost good as new (4 weeks later).

If you're in Sheffield area, I can certainly recommend, alternatively have a look around. It also helps if you have any sort of health insurance, as it means it's pretty much free.
  • Well i took the advice and went to a physio.

Turns out I have moderate pronation of both feet causing ankle/knee/pelvis misalignment. I've due to visit again in a week or so where i'm having some inner soles specially 'shimmed' to raise my arch etc. That combined with a tight IT band and the guy wasn't surprised I was having knee problems.
    I'm impressed at with how much they can tell you - I was told 'i bet your knee rotates inward during your pedal stroke' and sure enough it does!
    Anyway, along with some stretches I've been given we'll see how this improves things.
    Cube Road SL
  • Yep - Like I said "Knee problems are a minefield".

Glad you went to see an expert rather than self diagnose, you can do untold damage that way.
    Hopefully you'll make quick progress and be back on the bike soon and trying to lose all the weight you've gained in the last 7 weeks :-)
    Good Luck...and happy pedalling
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed