Editing GoPro footage

2»

Comments

• Windows movie maker does not accept MP4 files, which is what is generated by GoPros. Perhaps windows live movie maker is different.
    I also found out last night that the reason WMM will not save my files is because it can't process HD footage and dosent understand what an HD file looks like. Not sure how much truth there is to that. All I know is I can't wait for my new laptop to arrive, with a proper editing suite.
    I take it you're still on XP?
    WMM has been defunct for a considerable time, hence it not supporting HD at all.

Sadly, I WAS still on XP.

I have now treated myself to a new laptop, complete with windows 7 (registered for the W8 upgrade next month too).

I'm also now using Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 Ultra. Just got to find some time to get some footage now to take it for a test drive.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ugh, I've used a few Cyberlink software things over the years - they've always been horrendous :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I only demoed Powerdirector, it could be it had more to give but I gave it a few goes and it was orrible to use, and output ropey quality (but very large) vids. Pish, basically.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I'm still getting to grips with the more complex features, but titles, transitions, sound effects, tracks, captions etc all seem pretty easy to use, smooth, and plenty of choice. Plus there is the downloadable stuff, which expands it even further.

I have noticed a slight drop in output quality from 1080p files. I was assuming this is down to some setting I need to configure properly though as the 720p videos are fine (in fact, probably a slightly better quality than the 1080p ones).

I need to get time to have a proper mess about with it, I may even RTFM :shock:

For £30, I'm happy enough to give it a try. If it's w@nk, I'll go back to using Windows live movie maker.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm still getting to grips with the more complex features, but titles, transitions, sound effects, tracks, captions etc all seem pretty easy to use
    Word to the wise - avoid these at all costs, lest you make a video that looks like a toddler's playgroup production. Or worse, a you've been framed episode.
    Fade to/from black, hard cuts, and no titles.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mmm, I reckon occasional sparing use of captions can be good... Not professional, but then are we shooting for professional? Subscript in a contrasting colour, somewhere it doesn't interfere with the pic (subtitle style)

Though, never of the "blue screen with white writing on" at the start that's still popular (and why is it they always have a spelling mistake? "WE GOES TO KIROTREES!"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    why is it they always have a spelling mistake? "WE GOES TO KIROTREES!"
    :lol:
    Because that fits with the kind of people who are associated with caption usage.

Real professionals don't use captions, they just wait until they find a suitably strange shaped cloud formation...
    TheArtOfFlight_1.jpg
    the-art-of-flight-redbull-003.jpg

Or suitable glacial weathering
    10.png

The BBC has been doing the same for a while. They were unsure of what to call their new series following the coastline of Britain, then, whilst taking some aerial shots one day, they happened upon this beauty, and decided to name their show after it.
    Coast.jpg.

Same with the art of flight - it was going to be called "dudes on snowboards doing stuff", until they saw that cloud and glacier.
    It's true. Honest.