Not the nicest question to ask but please help

fishingguy
fishingguy Posts: 32
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I ride with padded bib shorts but ive started to get things that resemble boils in my nether regions (seated area). Is there something i can do to prevent this. Thanks for replying to what seems like a new episode of embarrassing bodies forum style!

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Saddle sores. You need to man up and pinch them off with pliers.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so they are boils or trapped hairs

its bacteria in the hair follicle (guess what kind!!!!!)

antiseptic cream, and change hygiene routine

if they get bad see you doctor, for a good lance and some antibiotic cream.....
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    See doc, and get them sorted, don't ride until you do, you'll only make them worse.
    Wash Bibs after every ride.
    Use chamois cream, helps with the rubbing.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Instead of cream, you can also try medicated talc that may help as well. Sometimes cream can make things worse as they keep things moist.

Boots do a medicated talc called Culticura or something. They also do a medicated soap by the same company. Maybe worth washing with it as well.

As for the other, +1 on washing bibs and cream for me
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I always wash my bib shorts after every ride. I will try the chamois cream as a starting point Where would i get some ? thanks
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Any LBS or Evans should have some, or Wiggle/CRC etc

Maybe also consider having a trim down there - hair can be quite abrasive/an irritant, or so I find
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had one of these once. I hadn't done any more miles than usual and was wearing the same bibshorts that I always do. I reckon it must have been an unlucky irritated hair follicle that just happened to be in a place that got rubbed while cycling.

It was pretty sore, but I just stayed off the bike for a few days while it went down.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    ......or my wife will happily squeeze the f**k out of them!!!
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I'd echo the points already made

Get the Doc to sort the current lumps
    Wash Bibshorts after every ride and do not use fabric conditioner - it ruins lycra and adds more chemicals into the fabric to irritate the skin
    Use a fit for purpose barrier cream or medicated talc. Assos Chamois cream or Butt Butter are two decent brands. You can use cream such as Sudocreme as it is as effective but it is more oily and sticky than chamois cream. Online at any of the big e-commerce retailers like Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc or your local bike shop should sell some.
    Shower after a ride and may help to use a little bit of nappy cream in the creases if you are feeling a little sore post ride. As you ride more and the body toughens up to it you'll find the need to apply cream after a ride disappears.

Of course goes without saying that general hygiene needs to be good too :D

@ ball1310 - :shock: You lady sounds a bit scary if thats what she likes to do :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Detol and a wire brush !

(or a decent chamois cream !)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    ALaPlage wrote:
    @ ball1310 - :shock: You lady sounds a bit scary if thats what she likes to do :D
    Just squeezing spots - recently came back from a 450 miles charity ride froom France to B'ham and talked me into having a sa*k and crac* wax before I left - you'd think it was Xmas when I came back with any possibility of ingrowing hairs! :D
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    bails87 wrote:
    I had one of these once. I hadn't done any more miles than usual and was wearing the same bibshorts that I always do. I reckon it must have been an unlucky irritated hair follicle that just happened to be in a place that got rubbed while cycling.

It was pretty sore, but I just stayed off the bike for a few days while it went down.

this^^^

assuming we are talking about the BASS area? (bit between the balls and ass)

Take some time from riding until it goes down as even adding creams/talcs at this stage can still aggravate the issue.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I really really wish I had remember the dettol and wire brush bit yesterday.......