Boardman carbon frames

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited August 2012 in Road general
I was always under the impression that these were a good mid-range option, however upon speaking to a friend who works in a bike shop I'm confused!

He was telling me about how a frame was brought into the shop which had been in an accident, and the two triangles had come apart completely. He said that they had been made seperately, and then glued together!

What's the deal? Opinions?

Comments

• jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Surely that's how most carbon frames are made?

Apart from some potentially dodgy BB machining and suspect BB bearings, I don't think on the whole there is a general problem with boardmans. Considering the number sold, I've not heard or read about many failures.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    LBS in boardman slating shock...
  • h34e0f
    I was under the impression that a hardtail carbon frame was made in one piece - the only way I would trust it to be honest!
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Generally the 3 union peices, BB, head tube and the seat tube/top tube union are separate pieces and the tubes then bonded to them.
    AFAIK there are almost no (if any) frames that are made compete.
  • h34e0f
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    Generally the 3 union peices, BB, head tube and the seat tube/top tube union are separate pieces and the tubes then bonded to them.
    AFAIK there are almost no (if any) frames that are made compete.

Fair enough then
  • h34e0f
    Having watched some videos on general carbon frame building it doesn't look as bad as I was thinking, I guess I interpreted what I was told wrongly.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Ask your friend what they stock that isn't made that way, what they stock that is, and if anything from those brands has ever broken.

It's a pretty safe bet that Boardman frames are made in the same factories, with the same processes, as an awful lot of big name ones.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    This How it's Made movie is good.

http://youtu.be/pD7T7y6CsJA
    tick - tick - tick
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Typical LBS BS - There's nothing unique about the way that the Boardman frame is made in comparison to any other frame at this price point - I think I read somewhere that Merida (who own Specialized) make them. Tube-to tube / wrapped construction is pretty well the norm for most carbon frames unless you drop some serious money on a Calfee, Colnago or Time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jeff soucek of Felt has a video explaining why and how the majority of frames get made out in taiwan
    Just because its a felt doesn't mean its not the technique used in a lot of other frames and its not the best technique either but does produce a workable frame these methods are designed to work the thai/chinese way
    of making things which is "lightest stiffest lowest cost"....theres a problem in that sentence

As posted above this is the way things are done its all a variation on a similar theme

The trend now is to mould the front triangle and the lh and rh stays in one piece (more relevant for bikes with carbon dropouts) However even the front triangle is not what purist would define as a monocoque The head seat and bottom bracket clusters are made by wrapping small patches (or preforms as we call them) externally over expanding PU or silicone cores the tubes are laid into the mould and the over wrapped cores placed into the mould (there are photos of these on my account somewhere) so in the terms of what we would term a monocoque the fibre or sheet becomes discontinuous so its more of a semi monocoque.The top goes on the bladders or air bags inflated and in the oven ,

(Dont worry the far east dont have all the top level stuff yet)

The rear stays are then bonded on and the joints overwrapped and sanded smooth

Tube to tube is quite labour intensive though