Resistance Trainer or Exercise Bike?

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Struggling to get out now that the 2nd kid has arrived :( and want to try and keep my fitness up between rides. Does anyone use anything indoors?

I like the thought of being on my own bike with a resistance trainer but it seems a bit boring. At least with an exercise bike you can watch calories burnt, miles covered etc etc.

Saw a few resistance trainers on wiggle:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/turbo-trainers/

those rollers look a bit mad!!!

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Resistance trainers are NOISY! My mate used to use one on our balcony in Les Gets when he was injured and it was annoyingly loud through the wall. (He used to work out with drum and bass blaring too so that added tot he annoying).

Personally if I had a bike already, I'd get a resistance trainer and appropriate computers to log training - you can get heart and calorie meters even power output meters if you want. You will want something below it to protect the floor from sweat and I'd either get a spare wheel with an appropriate tyre on it or I guess you can just swap tyres if you arent out on the trails a lot and the trainer is the main use.

Even the best exercise bikes are a compromise although the ones used in my old spin class were about as good as I have used. But expensive!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.