Oakley Clear Black Iridium lenses - night riding??

sim303
sim303 Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

My first post! :)

I was wondering whether anyone here has first hand experience of Oakley's Clear Black Iridium photochromic (transition) lenses. I was about to stump up for some clear prescription lenses for my Oakley Flak Jackets, ready for night riding in the winter (sorry!), and I wondered whether the Clear Black transitions might cover that base instead. The real question being, just how clear do they go? Are they comparable to a normal pair of clear glasses in the proper dark, where every photon counts (little or no street lighting, bike lights only).

I'm really hoping the answer is "Yes", on the other hand I don't want to pony up £200 odd quid if they won't cut the mustard, so I'd love to hear some owners' opinions.

Thanks all

sim

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    just buy some cheap riding glasses with clear lenses for a few quid.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    just buy some cheap riding glasses with clear lenses for a few quid.
    Think prescription lenses is the issue?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Doh! How the hell did I...?
    Nevermind. Why Oakleys, they are fantastically expensive. How about contacts, then you can choose any glasses.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Doh! How the hell did I...?
    Nevermind. Why Oakleys, they are fantastically expensive. How about contacts, then you can choose any glasses.
    Couldn't resist when I saw that :lol:

Contacts does sound like a good idea though. I can't bring myself to wear expensive riding glasses as I often misplace/drop/scratch them.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I struggled for years with glasses on a bike, as Yeehaa said, contacts are the way to go. If you really want Oakleys, go for the Jawbone then you can swap the tinted lenses out for clears for the night riding. Otherise all the clear saftey specs are very cheap as they're standard issue PPE on building sites now. You can pick up Bolles for next to nothing and they've got decent strong lenses.
  • sim303
    sim303 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies guy, sorry I didn't see them until now. I do have contacts but generally don't use them much now as they don't have the prism correction I ideally need. I now have a pair of Flak Jackets but haven't got round to getting a prescription lens yet, am waiting for my next pay check :) I'm thinking I'll just take a punt on the Clear Black Iridium photochromics as originally planned - they seem to get good write ups.
  • Why is it your looking to go photochromic? Colour wise with Oakley, Hi-yellow is pretty good too if your riding with decent lights.
  • Hi all

An update... I took a punt on the lesser-known Oakley Clear Grey photochromic lenses. These are rarely listed, apparently playing second fiddle to the Clear Black Iridiums. They're exactly what I wanted - out of the sun they are completely clear, no different to normal glasses (except better clarity!). They don't go super dark in the sun - they might not cut it in high summer - but I wanted these as autumn-winter / nighttime glasses, and for that they are perfect. Very happy! 8)

Pics here, clear and tinted

sim
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bit late I guess, but I use the Clear Black Iridium photochromic lenses, they're excellent. I wear them for night riding, work well. Go very dark too.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I use the same but only if its not muddy (not often) as i ruined my last pair. £330 for new lenses :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty