judging distance on OS maps

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,
when plannig routes on OS maps landranger, how can you judge distance. Remember reading in one of the MTB mags a while back how to do this but can't remember. Think its got to do something about counting the number of squares the route goes through equalling 1 km per square???? Anyone have any ideas??

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It depends on the scale, but the best way is to use a bit of string. Place it on your route, following all the paths you're taking then mark the end point, and measure the bit of string using the scale at the bottom of the map.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited August 2012
    1:25,000 maps are, predictably, 2.5 inches to the mile

The blue squares are 1km x 1km

Edit: Landranger are 2cm to 1km
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i used to have an old version of something like this http://www.etravelergear.com/digmapdisfin.html
    but it was more like this http://gearjunkie.com/map-tools-utm-sil ... ance-gauge
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Do it online with something like Wheresthepath, and you get your profile as well. Obviously this is not much use when you are out on your bike with a paper map so have a bit of string handy.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    there's a scale on the bottom of the map...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I know what the OP means, I think it was a tip in WMB.

It was just to get a rough idea of a the length of a route. Basically, you count the number of squares that the route goes through and that's roughly the distance (Number of squares crossed X width of one square).

The idea is that the squares that you only just clip the corner of (so you count 1km when it's actually only 50m of trail) will be made up for by all the 'squiggling' and the squares that you cross diagonally. It's not perfect, but it's not a bad way to get a quick idea of the length of a route.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Thats the one!!!
    thanks Bails87
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's wildly innacurate, especially on longer routes. Done it before on a short one for walking and it came up 10km when it was actually 15km.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I just used to roughly estimated - if a km is an inch on the map I would guestimate the number of inches the line covered one inch at a time - it was accurate enough. I planned routes out on maps, rode them and would then chuck them on some ride logging site to get an accurate listing.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Greer_
    The bit of string makes it so much easier! I only use it when planning hikes (not rides admittedly) but it's very helpful to know how far is left when it's bucking it down, can't see a foot in front of you, and just want to be home!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The counting squares method is pretty good for a rough estimate usually about 10% either way. The military and Orienteers use it and I used to use it a lot when I was a keen mountain climber.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    rob39 wrote:
    when plannig routes on OS maps landranger, how can you judge distance?

Learn how to read a map :P

Sorry, a facecious answer there, but I just know and can tell. I've been brought up reading maps just as well as books. Same with contours, I find it much easier to look at a map than faff about looking at profiles online
  • Greer_
    compo wrote:
    rob39 wrote:
    when plannig routes on OS maps landranger, how can you judge distance?

Learn how to read a map :P

Sorry, a facecious answer there, but I just know and can tell. I've been brought up reading maps just as well as books. Same with contours, I find it much easier to look at a map than faff about looking at profiles online

There really is no easy way round it, the best way is just to learn, so I'm with ya!